Sponsored by:

A Good Idea For A Possible Bronco Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2002, 12:18 PM
DeGideo
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was brainstorming last night about a few possible projects,and reminiscing about the Dark Moss Green '67 Fairlane XL I had while in college.I wanted it to remind me of that car,yet I like Broncos,so a '87-'91 Bronco would have to be the vehicle of choice.It's not something that would be difficult to construct.Just basically take a '87-'91 model year, XLT-trim Bronco,and have it repainted in either Dark Moss Green,or the more modern Deep Emerald metallic.Hit it with a few coats of clearcoat,and maybe add 1967 Fairlane GT hood "powerdomes" to the Bronco's stock hood(my XL had a GT-style hood on it...).Getting the rear fiberglass roof to match the exterior would be a matter of taking the old one off and replacing it with a 1996 Bronco factory green fiberglass roof.Interior-wise,my XL Fairlane had black buckets&a factory console.I'd have the Bronco's interior dyed black,install black carpeting,and re-do the seats in black cloth material.A custom-made console....or even a modified '66-'67 Fairlane XL/GT console would be put in place replacing the factory Bronco center console.The grille instead of factory dark argent&chrome,would have the center sections repainted in a medium gray,and the Ford oval in the grille's center would be replaced by a "XL" emblem (custom fabricated) to fit in the stock location.Engine-wise the choice for power would be a well-thought-out GT-40 302 built to about 335-345 bhp,backed by a modified AOD,with the stock shifter location moved to the floor.Some aftermarket rims mounted on 32"x11.50"x15" tires,a 2"-3" body lift,and 4.10:1 axle ratios(both limited-slip) would round out the project.The last addition would be ,small,"302" O.E.M.-style,reproduction Cobra Jet scoop-style emblems affixed to the rear of the powerdomes on the truck's hood.It indicates a EFI302 resides up front,it wouldn't indicate if it was the factory 185 net horsepower version Ford put in there,or something with a bit more power.

Old 07-05-2002, 10:12 PM
mcrank
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts