Local guy busted for making bio diesel

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 06:29 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well the best part is he is talking about COOKING oil being hazardous, now thats funny but it's ok I looked up the culver city business number and will call tomorrow to find out what kind of mistake they made with that one because under NO CIRCUMSTANCES or under any law in the nation is cooking oil classed as a flammable hazard, So IF that story is true, it was a mistake or someone that didn't understand the laws or just trying to take KFC for some money to pay back a mistake (and big companies will often pay those rather than fight it due to bad press)I just spent the past 2 hrs searching, and it is NOT classed as a hazardous material and neither is biodiesel. Bio is classed as a IIIB combustion able liquid but is not under any regulatory by the feds, also combustion able liquid is completely different from flammable liquid. It is also not considered a environmental contaminate hazard, as biodiesel and vegetable oil are considered biodegradable and thus do not carry fines for spills. some states will have a tighter reg but the story above is claiming cooking oil which has a closed cup flash point of over 450deg F, and isn't even classed as a combustion able liquid thus making the entire story false.

Now as to the ingredients used in the manufacturing of biodiesel and the storage of them that is another issue, but this started with saying that anyone manufacturing a hazardous material is in serious trouble, buy and manufacturing are 2 different things totally

Last edited by monsterbaby; 04-22-2007 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:45 PM
Cool6.9DieselGuy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beechkid
I really hate to tell you this, but, if you have the ability by any process to produce any liquid substance which posses a potential health, flammability, reactivity, of if spilled, any level of contamination, it is a permited operation under Article 4 of the Uniform (and soon to be International) fire code, with further enforcement found under Code of Federal Regulations 40. In summary, the cost of producing bio-diesel is this....

1 misdemeanor for each storage container
1 misdemeanor for each processing system
If an injury occurs to anyone as a result of the storage or use, the minimum fine is $250,000 and 6 months in the county jail, up to one year in the state penn
the cost of container & product removal (called environmental waste clean-up) BTW the definition of a waste product is "any substance which posses a potential threat to the environment"

fines of 3 times the cost of the clean-up

I will not debate this issue with you or anyone else, aside from my state prevention officer certifications and my national instructor credentials for teaching & certifying fire inspectors in this particular aspect of code enforcement, i served for several years on a regional hazardous materials criminal enforcement task force headed by the District Attorney. Anyone who has any idea of making their own bio-fuel must be aware that you and your familywill loose everything you cherish. The way the laws are written, even if the local, regional, and state do not investigate and prosecute, the feds may...if they do not, any person may sue and win against any enforcement official if they have been formally made aware of the hazard and chose not to take any action, their government immunity is waved. Also think about how you would be required to dispose of the equipment once used, only a hazardous waste disposal site could legally accept it.

Everything I have stated can be verified by any state of nationally certified fire prevention officer or fire inspector certified at a level II or higher.
I think if you go by all that though then that means you're gay.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:07 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
that is too funny.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:29 PM
Randy Pederson
Senior User
I'm really enjoying sitting back and watching this argument unfold.I find it kind of amazing that if the laws are so strict people are still making bio-diesel. I realize that I live in Canada not the real world but I'm amazed that I haven't heard of anyone losing everything they own since it must be common because of all those making it. I do know that if you want to store 200+ gals. of any type of fuel and you live in downtown LA or Chicago the neighbours may kick up a fuss. However if you live in the sticks, and are only producing enough for yourself I really doubt that anyone would bother you.(This is of course assuming that you're doing it safely and don't have your processor set-up right outside your kids bedroom.)
In general the laws and regs. are written for the dipsticks in society and that type of person shouldn't be dealing with matches let alone fuel. I'm not sure how the cops are down there but up here if you aren't creating grief for them or your neighbours you'll never hear from them. I'm constantly surprised by how many people seem to think that every cop is out to get them. (and no,..... I'm not a cop ) They really do have better things to do than chase down bylaw infractions.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:47 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
no, down here the gov goes crazy if they are not getting their cut in form of taxes so they will call to arms and rally everyone up and declare somthing dangerous to get a law against it so then they get their tax money because the people are not dumb enough to fall for the gov getting mad not getting its tax money but they are dumb enough to fall for everything might be dangerous.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:03 AM
Randy Pederson
Senior User
We also have a taxman up here. Although I do remember hearing stories of people getting nailed for running purple (untaxed)gas I've never in 32yrs had my tanks dipped. That doesn't mean that it doesn't happen , maybe I've just been lucky.
The point I'm trying to make is,have you personally ever had a cop pull you over and ask if you're running bio-fuel? I think that the tree huggers would go nuts for a story about a guy trying to GO GREEN and getting tagged for it.
I think it would be political suicide to jump on Joe average for trying to do the right thing. However, safety is more important than savings so you'd be well advised to be ultra cautious about how and where you set-up your processor. I think in general most people wouldn't even be aware of what you're doing if you set up your system properly.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:38 AM
biglex
Freshman User
thats hilarious!

Originally Posted by Cool6.9DieselGuy
I think if you go by all that though then that means you're gay.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:26 PM
15 and 92 Dad
Senior User
Something smells like<<<<<<<<<fried food!

Old 04-25-2007, 04:57 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Beechkid
I really hate to tell you this, but, if you have the ability by any process to produce any liquid substance which posses a potential health, flammability, reactivity, of if spilled, any level of contamination, it is a permited operation under Article 4 of the Uniform (and soon to be International) fire code, with further enforcement found under Code of Federal Regulations 40. In summary, the cost of producing bio-diesel is this....

1 misdemeanor for each storage container
1 misdemeanor for each processing system
If an injury occurs to anyone as a result of the storage or use, the minimum fine is $250,000 and 6 months in the county jail, up to one year in the state penn
the cost of container & product removal (called environmental waste clean-up) BTW the definition of a waste product is "any substance which posses a potential threat to the environment"
Biodiesel is no more a health hazard than Vegetable Oil, it has passed the "Health Effects Test" tier I and tier II required by the "Clean Air Act (1990).
Because of it's high flashpoint, 150 degrees C, is considerably higher than petro diesel or gasoline, neither of which are prohibited from storage at home biodiesel does not have flammability issues.
What do you mean "reactivity" water is reactive please specify
Biodiesel is biodegradable so it is not a pollution hazard

Old 05-16-2007, 11:40 PM
jimmye4golf
New User
boy am I tired after reading all of this. Nice first article for me to read though. Thanks guys!

Old 05-17-2007, 04:19 PM
glm racers
Senior User
Hummm.... So it's oK to grow your own Marijuana and make your own meth lab, which BTW is extremely dangerous with the potential to blow you and your neighbors house down, but not to fry your own bio fuel?

Old 05-17-2007, 05:30 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Growing your own Pot or turning out Meth will surely get the attention of the local constabulary much faster than turning out a few batches of BD.

Of course selling BD will certainly get you a bunch of trouble, but as long as you brew it for personal use you will likely not have any problems unles you run a foul of local haz mat rules because of the methanol.

Don't overlook the fact that Beechkid lives in the PRK and they have some "unusual" laws.

Last edited by Phydeaux88; 05-17-2007 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:48 PM
glm racers
Senior User

It's all a conspiracy to keep Big Oil Companies and their salaries on a ridiculously and out of control profit strategy, and they will fight to keep it that way.
To bad Rudolf Diesel and George Washington Carver were not alive at the same life span, I'm sure Henry Ford would have had it his way with renewable fuels<O</O

Last edited by IB Tim; 05-31-2007 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:23 PM
19903024x4
Senior User
I plan on buying a diesel and making bio for myself. I dont see any way i could get in trouble if i dont advertise it to the world. If i get in trouble i deal with it then. I'll just keep as few chemicals on hand as possible.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:17 AM
Rory
Senior User
Ok here is my 2 cents I live in VA and I had a talk with the DOT rep about WVO running it in my diesel truck. He got his books out and looked up a few things and explaned it to me. I can use WVO in my truck all day long and not pay tax on the WVO because I made it and I did not sale the oil that I made. He did not know about the EPA but I would cheak with them before I started anything and try to comply with them. I only want to build my little refinery once. The one thing I wanted to do was go to and from my destination with out haveing to stop and refuel. The DOT man said that I could only carry so much and it had to have a fuel line running from the tank to the pump to be legal. I wanted to have a small tank to run diesel fuel to start the truck and after the engine wormed up I would switch over to WVO out of the bigger tanks.And at night when it was time to relax and get ready for bed I wanted to shut off the big engine and use a small deisel engine generator to power the ac or heat and tv and things. But take it for what its worth. Thanks Rory

Quick Reply: Local guy busted for making bio diesel