1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer harness

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 10:49 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Trailer harness

OK...Now I know that with the F150's, the tow package had the option of the 4pin flat connector, or the 7 pin round. But my 350 only has the 4 pin flat. Didn't they all have the full package? I have already installed the brake controller, the two MAXI fuses and the two relays. It has the receiver, but now where do I get the harness in the back so I can switch out the 4 pin flat for the 7 pin round. I did this with my F150, found the harness at a salvage yard. I have called about a dozen so far this morning, and nothing but one place and he said it was a maybe. But he wants $50 for it. Maybe new...but used and I have to pull it? NOPE!

HALP!!

Ideas? web sites? A spare you want to get rid of?

Thanks all!

Old 02-26-2007, 11:04 AM
sglynx1
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow.... call Ford for the wiring harness. I thought ALL diesels came with the tow package and were pre-wired for hooking up a brake box and lights. Maybe I'm stupid and I don't know either... I'm pretty sure you could find that harness for cheaper than $50... try e-bay?

Old 02-26-2007, 11:12 AM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I was looking to add this to my truck Ford wanted around $100 for the part. I got it at my local U-haul place instead a lot cheaper (I think around $30), had to make my own bracket to hold it though. I will look and see if I can find the part number for you, I had to have them special order it.

It's Draw tite 118243. It comes with the two fuses and relays, so I guess now you will have spares. It plugs into the factory harness, so you don't have any ugly splices under the truck asking to get corroded.

Last edited by Beerstalker; 02-26-2007 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:14 AM
Bigburd
Junior User
Try U-Haul or any camper, RV supply or order from any receiver / hitch web site.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:23 AM
DonJames
Senior User
Believe it or not, my local Wal-Mart does have a bunch of this stuff back in the automotive department next to the trailer lights.

When you do get the part, if I were you I would not 'switch out the 4 pin flat for the 7 pin round'. I would instead just add the 7 pin beside the 4 pin. Makes your truck more versitle that way.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:19 PM
msgtg
Post Fiend
Damn, we learn something new everyday! My 92 F150 only came with the 7 pin round and I've had to buy the adapters to the 4 flat. My 03 F250 has both (as I expected because according to the build sheet it was setup that way).

I'd have done the "assume" thing again and been looking pretty sheepish.

Good luck!

Old 02-26-2007, 01:11 PM
bigtexan99
Laughing Gas
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Look underneath your bumper at the wires going to your existing 4 pin. If you trace it back, you will probably see the extra wires for the 7 pin round. The 7 pin round housing at walmart is like 8 bucks. You just strip the end of the wires and use a screwdriver to connect them to the housing.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:43 PM
TXHillCountry
Elder User
Big Texan is right. More than likely you can just get the 7 pin plug and mounting hardware, and if you get the "Ford compatible" harness, it'll just plug into the harness that's probably hanging up by the spare tire somewhere.

TX

Old 02-26-2007, 01:43 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
His truck is already completely wired for the 7 pin connector. He just needs to buy the Draw tite 118243 harness that I told him about. Along the drivers side frame rail back by the spare tire there is a connector that his 4 wire harness is plugged into now. He just pulls that plug out, plugs the draw tite harness in, and mounts the 7 pin connector back by the hitch. There is no splicing involved at all and it takes about 5 minutes. To me it was totally worth spending the few extra dollars not to have to cut up my factory harness and lay under the truck trying to solder wires together, wrap them with electrical tape and pray they don't get moisture in them.

Old 02-26-2007, 02:22 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Beerstalker
His truck is already completely wired for the 7 pin connector. He just needs to buy the Draw tite 118243 harness that I told him about. Along the drivers side frame rail back by the spare tire there is a connector that his 4 wire harness is plugged into now. He just pulls that plug out, plugs the draw tite harness in, and mounts the 7 pin connector back by the hitch. There is no splicing involved at all and it takes about 5 minutes. To me it was totally worth spending the few extra dollars not to have to cut up my factory harness and lay under the truck trying to solder wires together, wrap them with electrical tape and pray they don't get moisture in them.

That is exactly what I want to do. I alrerady have the adapters under the back seat for going to a 6pin or 4 pin. Just need the 7 pin. And I too do not lick hacking the factory wires.

THANKS!

Old 02-26-2007, 02:24 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

If you want the 7/4 pin combo that is OEM factory from FORD with the tow package, then this is the part you need.

Combo 7/4 pin OEM trailer plug (part of tow package)

FORD Part#: 2C3Z13A576DA
FORD List Price: $108.40
FORD FTE Price: $78.05 from Sponsor Ed at http://www.discountfordpartsaty2kford.com/

Just make sure you have the square plug out back near the bumper. Here is a picture of my '03 SD square plug in my gallery...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...&albumid=25280

Hope this helps...

biz

Old 02-26-2007, 02:46 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
His truck should have the connector back there, my 99 f-250 did. Yeah that price sounds familiar, seems rediculously overpriced to me. Ed gives a nice discount, but like I said before I think I paid around $30 for the drawtite harness at my local U-haul. Doesn't hurt to give him options though.

One thing about the Ford plugs that I have noticed on my new truck, the cover for the 4 way connector does not like to stay in. Mine keeps coming out and all the road grime is getting pretty nasty in there, I'm thinking about putting a tiny bit of super glue on it to try to hold it in.

Old 02-26-2007, 04:08 PM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
etrailer.com

They have all that stuff .
BTW Chevy plugs are the same as Ford .

Old 02-26-2007, 11:20 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

OK...I stopped by a NAPA parts store and picked up what they listed as the harness I needed with a mounting bracket for $30. I took out the 4 pin that was plugged in and it was a diffent plug...Crap! Oh wait..whats this extra 2ft of wiring, taped to the side of the main harness with a list of color codes... WOOT! It is the pig tail for the 7 pin round plug. So I looked in my pack-rat drawer in the garage...found the receptacle for the truck end, mounting bracket and all the nuts and bolts to install it. WOOT! Im taking the other one back tomorrow. Seems I had everything I needed already. So now with factory wiring, I have the 7 blade RV plug and the 4 pin flat. Hooked up to the trailer and al is well.

Thanks everyone for all the options. Its what got me to decide to pull the entire harness instead of just guessing at what I needed.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:01 AM
bigtexan99
Laughing Gas
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Glad you found it...that is the bunch of wires I was talking about in my earlier post. Mine was the same way, taped up a few feet back of the 4way plug.

Quick Reply: Trailer harness