1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 01:38 PM
SteveO.
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ac clutch

I'll have to give this a shot..............tomorrow. 94 and humid today in Michigan. The info on this site is priceless thanks to all the wrench heads. I'm more of a fix it when it breaks weekend mechanic! But with all good info, I feel pretty comfortable doing it.

I figure If it breaks, it had to replaced anyway!!

Have a great summer!!

Old 07-05-2010, 07:29 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
To bolster your confidence even more, we have peeeetchers.
SpringerPop's Compressor Clutch Air Gap

Let us know how it works out.

Pop

Old 07-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Pro DIY
Senior User
So I tried this today. My clutch would engage for about 5 seconds then disengage, it would keep cycling like this. Measured the gap and it was too much. removed one shim, put it back together. has a gap of about .024. but is it is still cycling as before. Any suggestions what to try next.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:47 PM
CHELLIE
Senior User
Originally Posted by Pro DIY
So I tried this today. My clutch would engage for about 5 seconds then disengage, it would keep cycling like this. Measured the gap and it was too much. removed one shim, put it back together. has a gap of about .024. but is it is still cycling as before. Any suggestions what to try next.
you may be low on freon, if you have a sight glass on the receiver drier or inline on the high side, look for foam/bubbles in the sight glass, charge with freon untill the sight glass clears up. hope that helps, Chellie

Old 07-09-2010, 06:55 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

These don't have sight-glasses.

He still may be under-charged anyway, but only gauges will tell for sure.

Pop

Old 07-10-2010, 09:41 AM
ju015dd
Mountain Pass
I don't think mine is cycling at all. I check my gap today and it is good and it works like it is suppose to when you turn the ac on and off. But for the life of me I have yet to hear or see it cycle with the truck running and the ac on. Do I have a bad sensor somewhere maybe?

Old 07-10-2010, 06:59 PM
timmyy
New User
I got a 05 SD 350 And tried to check the air gap and When I turned the a/c on while the truck was running the clutch would engage. But with the truck off it Wouldn't engage With turning the A/C control on any ideas how to engage the clutch .

Old 07-12-2010, 11:15 PM
Pro DIY
Senior User
Originally Posted by timmyy
I got a 05 SD 350 And tried to check the air gap and When I turned the a/c on while the truck was running the clutch would engage. But with the truck off it Wouldn't engage With turning the A/C control on any ideas how to engage the clutch .

make sure that the ignition is on but engine not running. with mine I was able to turn the key to on and turn the ac to max and I could here the clutch engage and disengage if I turned the ac off.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:22 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Originally Posted by timmyy
You don't need to turn anything on to check the air gap.

Open hood, insert feeler gauges, read them.

Determine if the gap is too wide. Fix it if it is. Check afterward.

Pop

Old 07-17-2010, 01:35 PM
America
Junior User
My truck's a/c works fine when driving, but turns off when I slow to a stop. I measured my clutch gap at .40 and when I took out the shim/washer it was .10. Clutch seems to be engaging and disengaging fine. What's the biggest issue for having the gap at .10 other than the clutch not disengaging. If the the clutch disengages and engages, I should be fine rt? A/C is blowing cold, would it blow less cold with my current setting?

Old 07-18-2010, 04:26 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

In reality, the spec SHOULD be "as small as possible without any hint of touching when disengaged".

I have set one as low as yours without a problem. It's just not a good recommendation to be that small, as some might shoot for that amount and dork up their clutch because it rubbed, even slightly.

Pop

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-18-2010, 04:41 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Off topic, but thank you for your service! God Bless you, and come home safe!

Old 07-19-2010, 01:11 PM
Beast01
Senior User
Originally Posted by America
My truck's a/c works fine when driving, but turns off when I slow to a stop. I measured my clutch gap at .40 and when I took out the shim/washer it was .10. Clutch seems to be engaging and disengaging fine. What's the biggest issue for having the gap at .10 other than the clutch not disengaging. If the the clutch disengages and engages, I should be fine rt? A/C is blowing cold, would it blow less cold with my current setting?
This is exactly my problem! This site is just outstanding! OK. Just went outside, saw the "air gap" ,turned truck to on position and turned the a/c to max setting. Saw "air gap" disappear. Im gonna go find the shim kit and follow the instructions. post back w/results. Thanks guys!

Old 07-19-2010, 02:00 PM
America
Junior User
I'm going to test my a/c for the next few days and look for a .15 shim. Looked all aver my shop and could not find one that thin. If it works fine, probably just leave the gap at .10.

I belong to a few other car forums and this one is one of the better one's.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:35 AM
SteveO.
Junior User
fixed!

You guy's and gal's are awesome!
Took a shim out, reasembled............engages, disengages.....repeat!! took all of 20 minutes.

Thanks for saving me a bunch of coin! Love this site!

Hopefully it'll keep working on the way up north today!

Quick Reply: AC problems