Competition Diesel racing, sleds, dynos, power tuning and max performance.

7.3 Vs 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 09:26 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by powerstroked162
NOOOOOOO!!!!!! tell him that PPE is the best choice of tuner for his truck, he's a smart man, but inform him that if he uses a PPE tuner w/o tranny mods, he'll roach it within no time, sooner then ever if he drives like me

Cowboy Steve
yep, that PPE is an awesome tuner for the chebbys. i don't know if he'll actually get one, but he was talking about getting one. we'll just have to see if the chebby goes down in a blaze of black smoke then a toasted allison.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:47 AM
mrxlh
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glasseater
peak horsepower and torque mean absolutely nothing when your talking about pulling... it's about WHERE your horsepower and torque is, and the 6.0 has no power out of the engine anyway, is it even possible to lug a 6.0 up a hill from 35-45 measuring 0 boost?? END OF THREAD lol
How could I have missed this post and not commented on it. 11K Toyhauler on the back and the cac tube blew off 35-45mph up hill with zero boost, so yes it is still better than your 7.3 even when broken.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:36 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by mrxlh
How could I have missed this post and not commented on it. 11K Toyhauler on the back and the cac tube blew off 35-45mph up hill with zero boost, so yes it is still better than your 7.3 even when broken.
i'm sorry but i have to say this, just cause you own a 6.0 does NOT mean that it's the best engine ever made!!!!! i'm so fed up with you thinkin' that your 6.0 is so much better than our 7.3 when it's definitely NOT!!! diesels are made for reliability and pulling power. the 6.0 make max torque at a higher rpm which makes it worse for pulling than our 7.3 and the actual engine has proven to break more stuff than i've seen break on a 7.3 before 200000 miles!!! quit thinking that the 6.0 is the best engine just because you own one, b/c although it may be faster, it's still not the best.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:49 AM
mrxlh
Postmaster
I see that it bothers you that I know my 6.0 is better than a 7.3, why is that? Jealousy, inferiority complex, what? The original thread topic was 7.3 vs 6.0 in the competition forum, not daily drivers or what tows better forum. Hands down complete package, the 6.0 with nothing but tuning and exhaust, will kick the living crap out of any 7.3 with the same mods, tuner and exhaust only.

Last edited by mrxlh; 08-31-2007 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:19 PM
Enomra
Elder User
strokin'_tatsch: I'm not going to tell you that the 6.0 is a better engine than the 7.3 that remains to be seen and the mid 05 on are as reliable as the 7.3. But I will tell you that you are wrong as far as towing. Any time any load the 6.0 will out tow out run any 7.3 stock to stock and mod for mod. I have had both and the 6.0 is better. Sorry its the truth.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:34 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
everyone has their own opinions on different things, but i'm not going to take this bs that the 6.0 is the best engine ever built!!! enorma, i can respect you in that you aren't talking s%!& about the 7.3, but this other guy is talking smack about 7.3's, which means he is talking smack about my truck and that is something that i will not take. for you to be a 7.3 hater means that maybe you already know that the 7.3 is more reliable as your little 6.0. we 7.3 owners have never said that our engine is the best out there, but all your doing is saying that your 6.0 is the best, which is total BS and you know it. just remember this, THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT!!!!!!!

Old 08-31-2007, 03:12 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
You know Enorma, the problem with threads that are longer than 2 pages is when someone comes in and does not read the whole thread before posting.

Show me where in this thread that I specificly said the 6.0 is the best engine ever? (trust me this award does not go to a diesel, GM, IH or Cummins or otherwise)

Seeing as how you are obviously looking at just the engine, there are yeahs and neighs to both. Anyone can work on a 7.3 with few tools and no schooling. The 6.0 in this aspect is much much more advanced, heck Ford is still not done "tuning or perfecting" the ECM strategy.

Now if you want to compair the whole truck, then if you jump up and down on the 7.3 equipped trucks bandwagon, then I know your just 6.0 bashing. Coil front end, 11" 4 wheel discs, tow houl mode, larger towing capicity. More refined interior. I in no way said your truck was junk or bad, just that the 6.0 equipped trucks are better. (BTW I still remember when the latest mod was for 7.3 owners to get the no fling cup hoders out of the newer 6.0 trucks)

As far as the whole competition aspect goes, it depends what you really want to run. Just the mods alone to get a 7.3 up to what a 6.0 puts out stock, gets you better head gaskets and studs and an egr cooler delete for the 6.0. Then for $500 you are making over 450 RWHP with just a tuner, reliably. Can you put just a tuner on a 7.3 and get 450RWHP? I think not. One of the reasons the 7.3 responds to mods so well is that (don't start to cry, cause it is the truth) for its displacement 7.3 liters, it was a huge underachiever in stock trim, 235, 250 HP ain't nothing to brag about for that size of displacement. The 6.0 in its modest beginnings as the VT 365 was rated at 230HP with over 600 TQ. In this trim they last along time. I participate at several boards, while many qoute the top 5 fastest are 7.3 powered, the poster quoting is never the owner. I read a lot of sig lines with dyno numbers posted and see very very few 7.3 trucks making what a 6.0 is capable of with just tuning. Now that is not to say someone like Luke's truck is a an underachiever, but look at what he has in the truck. Needless to say it is a lot of upgrades. In retrospect how many people have put this kind of time and money in a 6.0 yet? Not many, and the ones who have rarely post here. The longevity standpoint still remains a mystery as well. Time is the only thing that will determine that. As Enorma has stated the mid 05 and up 6.0s are so far as bullet proof as the later 7.3s. The 03 and 04's are hit and miss, but again several here are already beyond your mileage numbers working the truck in a fleet environment, with minor repairs and basic maintenance. Once the time allows for the 05, 06, and 07 trucks to prove themselves, we may be having a totally different conversation.

Now for the portion of this thread that you didn't read.............

Originally Posted by lukecline
uhh ohh- mrxlh the 7.3 hater is in the building lol
Originally Posted by mrxlh
Luke, nope, don't hate them, just tired of hearing how much more superior to the 6.0 they are.

Now on to the original post, If you think that a compairable equipped 6.0 (larger injectors, better fuel system, SCT tuner, exhaust) will lose to a 7.3, well then, I think your just an idiot, plain and simple, thats not hate, it is just a fact.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:21 PM
jvoigt
Posting Guru
All you guys talk about when it comes to 6.0 Vs. 7.3 is which truck makes the most power, which is fastest, which one is more reliable...blah blah blah. I dont give a dam how much power you have, if you cant drive the thing with some skill your gonna get whooped up on by lesser powered trucks. Now I am not bashing either engine, but just having the most powerfull diesel in your town is not gonna make you a winner.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:31 PM
78F150XLT
Senior User
jvoigt made a good point... u can have more horspower and torque then the other guy but it dont mean didley squat unles u know how to drive the thing. my buddys 01 cummins is a perfect example. its a 5 speed standard, his best time is low 13's at 93 mil./hr, my friend who is 17 and grew up driving standards on this parents farm to the truck on the 1/4mile and beat the original "record" on the chip. he did low 12's and 100 and sum mil./hr... anotehr example mad doggs 96 f350 crew cab, just over 1100 rwhp, he smoked a guy with a reg cab long box dodge cummins that has 1237rwhp... the only way u can prove which motor is better, the 6.0 and the 7.3, is having the same person doing the same exact tasks in the same conditions and it all depends on what you are doing. i.e work truck, welding truck, drag, pulls, dynos (wich don't mean dick all in my point of view). some people might find the 6.0 better in sum spots then the 7.3 and vise versa, every thing has his pro's and con's.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by glasseater
peak horsepower and torque mean absolutely nothing when your talking about pulling...
You're referring to the HP and torque curve? The Torqshift keeps the 6.0 within the proper curve. Peak power levels mean something, of course!

it's about WHERE your horsepower and torque is, and the 6.0 has no power out of the engine anyway
You must have gotten lost whilst typing this nugget. No power? C'mon!!! That's just silly bowtie talk.
is it even possible to lug a 6.0 up a hill from 35-45 measuring 0 boost??
Why would anybody lug an automatic transmission equipped Diesel engine? The Torqshift would downshift and bring the 6.0 right into the powerband and it just keeps on pulling.

END OF THREAD lol
You should cut and run after the statements above!

Kepp hammerin' on 'em Ryan!

Old 09-01-2007, 02:56 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
i'm sorry but i have to say this, just cause you own a 6.0 does NOT mean that it's the best engine ever made!!!!! i'm so fed up with you thinkin' that your 6.0 is so much better than our 7.3 when it's definitely NOT!!! diesels are made for reliability and pulling power. the 6.0 make max torque at a higher rpm which makes it worse for pulling than our 7.3 and the actual engine has proven to break more stuff than i've seen break on a 7.3 before 200000 miles!!! quit thinking that the 6.0 is the best engine just because you own one, b/c although it may be faster, it's still not the best.
SO the converse could not in any way be a valid point then ?!?!

Since YOU don't own a 6.0 how could you know he's not stating fact ???

I HAVE owned both.... and one of them is better than the other IMHO

that's why I have owned two 6.ohs to one 7.3

(and if you care to look at facts, study the 6.0L shootout info...MUCH HP below 2k RPM and how else do you explain the sub 2 second 60 foot times without a bit of HP, torque, and traction)

Last edited by jdadamsjr; 09-01-2007 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:18 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
ok... i've once again have had time to cool down and he we go. 6.0 guys, i'm just going to say yes, for 7.3L 230-250hp doesn't seem like much, but to my knowledge they are more proven. notice i said my knowledge. i am not a genius on 6.0's nor 7.3's or any other engine, but i do know a lot more about 7.3's, 12 valve, and 24 valve cummins engines. i haven't seen many 6.0's over 500hp, but i did just finish watching a video on youtube of a 600hp 6.0. i can't say that the 6.0 is an absolutely horrible engine since 1, they aren't horrible and 2, i don't know them. it just seemed to me that everything that was said you automatically said, my 6.0 is better. sorry if that was not the case, but i have read this whole thread and forgotten a lot of it. i'm going to stay out of this thread from now on and leave it to you guys. sorry for losin' my cool fellers. oh and 1 more thing.... at least both of our engines are still better than the chebbies durasnax!!!!!! hahahaha, aluminum heads on a compression ignition engine, LMAO. leave it to chevy to have a stupid idea, although they do have a lot of power. oh yeah and just to let y'all know. i don't know a lot about the durasnax either, so don't get mad at me for the remark, just a little joke. later guys

Old 09-02-2007, 03:47 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
This has become a pissing match, thats all. Nobody is ever gonna agree with eachother so why continue? Strokin I hate to tell ya but Mrxlh is right, not saying I agree with his approach but the information is there and its truth. Also, I dont understand why its not ok for him to say the 7.3 is far from being superior to the 6.0 but you can state that the 7.3 is superior to the 6.0. Both of you are just trying to cram eachothers opinions down eachothers throats. Its all about user opinion, some 7.3 guys loves their new 6.0's and some 6.0 guys miss their 7.3's. User preference is all it is.

This thread needs to be locked up before it gets anymore outta control.

Cowboy Steve

Old 09-02-2007, 05:14 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nah... it's run it's course.... and kept lot's of people "intertanned"

Old 09-02-2007, 05:49 PM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
Getting redundant and boring, and yes I read every post..BFD

Hanklin