Delaware Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: pbsdaddy

diesel trucks

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 03:32 PM
ranger88stx
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
diesel trucks

I have been thinking about picking up a full size truck as my next vehicle. I want to plan for the future with something with enough power and payload to carry either a nice size toyhauler or a truck camper and a box trailer full of quads. I have really been thinking about picking up a diesel for my next truck. Just want some opinions from those that have them. My drive to work is only 12 miles round trip and i won't be towing all the time. Just want to make sure its not overkill to get a diesel. I figure it gets better mpg then a big block gas but what about expenses like oil changes and routine maintenance. Plus i am worried about something going wrong and repair bills as i am going to have to buy a used one. I saw a beautiful F250 at Bayshore Ford XLT nice 55k miles 2005 with the aluminum wheels i like, naturally it was already sold. The dealer said it went for 26k but it was one of their rentals they get back and they might be getting another one similar in soon. So lets hear from the diesel crew what are the pros and cons of a diesel?

Old 02-18-2007, 05:27 PM
glruff
Super Moderator
Received 157 Likes on 93 Posts
First let me say there is nothing like a diesel to get heads to turn.

For me the decision was easy, I guess it was an ego thingy going on during a mid-life crisis. Savage2211 and Toadx8u remember I am the chapter leader. lol

As far as fuel economy, I get 14--15 mpg around town, short trips. When on the open road, I get 16--18 mpg running 65--70 mph. When I take it easy on a trip, I have gotten up to 21 mpg.

You are probably most interested in when I am pulling a 3,000lb trailer with a 6,500 lb Case DX45 tractor with front end loader and two blades, I get 10--12 mpg mostly short runs at 45mph.

Oil changes at the dealer ship run about $40 more for diesel. The warranty on the engine I am told is 100,000 miles.

This is my first diesel and it will not be my last. Also no mods done to engine at this time but I am considering 4" cat back, and possibly a Bully Dog tuner. Not sure of either until further research is done.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:36 PM
Mark _G
Senior User

I haven't towed anything more than a small trailer (and some bush stumps) with mine and the best I ever got was 18.9mpg and the worst was high 14's low 15's - can't remember but I used 4WD a lot that tank. I probably average very close to what glruff does. The pros would be decent fuel mileage for a large truck, plenty of power, and if everything goes right you can get a lot of miles out of it. The cons would be that diesel fuel is more expensive than gas, the diesel option costs more than gas, the diesel's maintenance is more expensive than gas, and is there ever really enough power?

Mark

Old 02-20-2007, 07:04 AM
f250meangreen
Senior User
This was the big delima that I had. I never drove the V10 but I did test drive the PSD. I planned on buying a 30ft 8k pound trailer so I decided to go with diesel. the mileage while towing is 9-10mpg. Unloaded city is 14-15mpg. Unloaded highway 18-19.5mpg. I drive 24 miles round trip to work. I use synth oil so changes for me are about $70-$80 all done myself. Now I wish I would have bought the long be for the extra fuel capacity. At 9-10mpg I have to stop way to often to fill up. I assume the v-10 gets a little worse than this so the long bed would help. I will never make up the cost difference in fuel and longevity by getting the diesel so that is a wash. The power is nice but the v-10 probably would do just a well. If you don't tow alot then the short trips and stops and go are harder on the diesel. The cost of repairs on the diesel are higher and fuel is sometime harder to find while traveling of the highways. I love the sound of a diesel and it does pull hard so that is why I went with it but I am borderline on whether I really needed it or to go with the v-10. The way I look at it is don't get a diesel if you think you will save money in fuel or what ever. Only get it if you want the most pulling power available. Like I said, to this day I still wander if I should have went with the v-10. With out a towing test drive for both I went for the extra power. Also if you are one of the unfortunate ones like me that have constant little issues with the PSD you will question your decision. Lots to consider!!!!!!