Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems getting to my ball joints!!!

Old 11-04-2002, 05:17 PM
fast_eddy
Senior User

I tried to change my ball joints on my '96 this last weekend and encountered a problem. I got the front end taken down to the spindle, but couldn't get the spindle (or brake shield) loose. I removed all of the bolts holding it in place, and the thing wouldn't budge. I even tried prying and beating on the thing, to no avail. Is there something I am missing???

Old 11-04-2002, 05:48 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 04-Nov-02 AT 06:52 PM (EST)]Yeah - the wheel speed sensor, and its shield. They're held on by SMALL bolts inside the knuckle and one of them is a 12-point metric (can't remember what size ). When you've pulled both bolts, grab the shield & work it straight off the sensor tip (be VEWWY careful!), then work the sensor back out of the knuckle. Liquid Wrench helps. Then you'll have to tap on the spindle enough to vibrate the rust loose that's binding it in the knuckle. It's pretty sturdy, though - just don't dent it.

On the passenger side, you'll have to get the slip-joint boot over the splines of the axleshaft (inside the axle beam), so either cut the metal strap or be prepared for busted knuckles. You can't pull the whole R section out of the diff like the L side because it has a C-clip inside, and you DON'T wanna pull the chunk just for ball joints.:-X23

Old 11-05-2002, 09:37 AM
adelyser
Elder User

You don't need to remove the wheel speed sensor at all. Mine was rusted in, so I left it. I removed the spindle by soaking it with WD-40 or PB Blaster and letting it sit for an hour. I then threaded the spindle locknut back onto the spindle, and then used a 3-jaw puller to push against the driveshaft. It pulled the spindle right out. You can also use the hammer method, but it does take awhile.