1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

an alternative way to do IRS with Ford rear

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 05:28 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cedric, the truck is lookin really great. I had no idea you were doing the irs. Look s like a fine job. Don't forget, we are to take each other for a ride as discussed when you came over to look at mine.. My 6 is in the final paint stage bit I ran into a hood issue, so it may go hoodless for the summer till I get a flipper or a glass hood (long story). Jon ( the poster formally known as "el cabron")

Old 03-21-2007, 04:45 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Originally Posted by daveheld
great info Mike... I would like to see the photos of the IFS from the Cougar...
Maybe I'll make a truckIFS.com product line!

dave
http://www.truckIRS.com
I'll send you an email with a few pics through your website.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:29 PM
twisted56
Freshman User
"""With my IRS setup, the rear part of the frame ( as measured 11" behind the rear axle centerline ) relative to ground is 16 1/2" with a 215 70 15 tire - which has a diameter of 26.85"""

Mine measures at ~15" at same point with 215 65 16".

Old 03-23-2007, 10:01 AM
SCD
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mike
I would be interested in seeing pictures of the 93 Cougar IRS out of the car where you can get a good look at it.

Twisted 56
Any chance that you can post some additional pictures of your IRS installation from some different angles. Maybe some shots from the front and some outside the frame rails?

Thanks
Scott

Old 03-24-2007, 10:55 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
PM me your email addy, and I'll send some over to you today.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:14 PM
mymerc
Junior User
If someone wanted to make one product to help with a easy and reasonably priced front suspension, it would be to make a dropped spindle for the aerostar van. As the unit comes as a complete cross member and only needs some fabrication for the upper control arm mount, which would be possible to produce easily in a kit form, we could have a redily availible, reasonably priced fairly modern IFS alternative that looks good and has the strength to match our trucks.
So as a kit it would have a drop spindle and a upper control arm bracket. How expensive could this be?
Mymerc

Old 03-25-2007, 12:09 PM
daveheld
Junior User
Regarding your front suspension idea... your idea definitely has merit and I see it filling the need - one question I have is - what is "reasonably priced"?

While I only offer a rear suspension package currently, I could add to the offering with a front suspension package - my only concern is that I have not sold a single IRS package through this site - I'm looking for feedback as to how to make my product more desirable to those on this site... I have received quite a few inquiries, but no orders to date. With that in mind, I am seriously reconsidering the expense of attending the F100 SuperNats...

any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
dave
Cocoa Beach FL

Old 04-06-2007, 05:11 PM
daveheld
Junior User
Has anyone had the pleasure of meeting Mike Chesser? His work can be found at http://www.chesserbuilt.com

I drove up to his shop on Monday - about an 8 hour ride... after removing the leaf springs from his 55 Ford truck on Monday night, we were ready to install the IRS first thing on Tuesday morning.

We wrapped things up before dinner - including a three hour trip to the local wrecking yard to retrieve some bushing mounts that were not included when he secured the IRS on an earlier visit... anyway, we completed the IRS install, took about 200 photos and all is well.

I have a few photos that I can share - if you'd like to see an abbreviated version of the install - but I will be creating a magazine article based on Tuesday's events and they want the exclusive on the story. Email me through my truckIRS.com website and I can send you a few photos.

Just wanted to let you know that the install instrux and photos have been verified and updated. Many thanks to Mike and his crew.

dave

Old 04-07-2007, 03:39 PM
VespaJay
Freshman User
To see what the IRS looks like out of the car, check out this website. It shows how to beef up a Thunderbird IRS, including welding up some factory weak spots in the subframe. There's plenty of good pics of what the subframe looks like and how the whole unit goes together:

http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12how-to/irs/irs.html

Old 04-09-2007, 08:50 PM
oldbag
New User
This is what I am running. Thunderbird SC rear IRS, and Lincoln Mark VIII front. All on bags. The running boards lay-out with 4 wheel camber =]

Old 04-09-2007, 09:01 PM
twisted56
Freshman User
Hey oldbag , how about some pics? I'm still under construction and would like to see it at upper/lower limits. Ced

Old 04-09-2007, 09:05 PM
oldbag
New User
I'll try and take some pics this week.

Lower is sitting on the running boards, upper is about 7 or 8 inches up from there.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:17 PM
oldbag
New User
twisted56 - are you going air bags or coils?

Old 04-09-2007, 09:33 PM
oldbag
New User
Another option is the IRS from a second Gen RX-7.

They will keep the mustang bolt pattern as well.

We have one of those going in a 32 ford hotrod....

Old 04-09-2007, 09:44 PM
twisted56
Freshman User
I'm in the process of airbags going in as soon as the weather gets warmer, and I get off weekend/night shift. Going to do it like the t-bird guys do it unless anyone else has a better setup.

Quick Reply: an alternative way to do IRS with Ford rear