Need more gears

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 10:39 AM
robpar
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need more gears

My first post to this board:

I have a 1998 F150 short box, regular cab with a 4.2 V-6. I really like this truck and have owned since new. This past summer my wife and I bought an 18ft travel trailer which weighs about 5000 lbs which is the max for this truck.

I was pleasantly surprised that the little engine worked just fine and got acceptable fuel economy. However the trip we like to take from my location in Vancouver Canada goes into the mountains where there is a monster hill coming up from Princeton to Manning Park. This hill is over 8% for most of the way and has some 10% grades with the worst grade coming after a 120 degree turn at about 20 mph. The engine seems to have enough power but does not have enough gears, I could use another gear as it can not pull the hill in second and requires about 4500 rpm to climb at 30 to 35 mph.

My question is: Can the 5 speed from the F250 be install in this combination? Ford often changes bell housing patterns, not to mention the electronics that may or may not be compatable.

Ford has released the 6 speed auto in the Expedition but is not available on the F150 as of yet, maybe for the 2008 model.

Thanks

Bob Parry

Old 02-14-2007, 01:36 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bob, welcome to FTE! Glad to have you here.

Do you know which rearend is in your truck?
3.55:1?
3.73:1?
Do you have auto transmission or manual?
The towing limit for auto is about 5000 lbs, but for the manual it is about 3000-3500 lbs.

I do not think any other manual transmission will bolt up to the 4.2.
Perhaps I am wrong, but I don't ever remember anyone here mentioning a different manual transmission that would fit.

You can change the rear end gear but I believe that it is about it.

You are about to the weight point to where other truck systems will be pushed to be able to handle the load, even if the engine can pull it OK.
Brakes
Suspension
Frame rigidity
Clutch
etc.

Again, glad to have you here in the 4.2 forum at FTE.
Check in often!

Old 02-14-2007, 01:41 PM
robpar
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for not enough information:

The rear axle is 3.55 and the transmission is a 4 speed automatic. I am looking to install the 5 speed automatic from the F250 if this is even feasable, if not I will just drag my butt up that hill at 35 and let those behind stew.

Bob

Old 02-14-2007, 01:49 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bob,
I can't say for sure but I doubt the 5 speed auto for the F250 will work in the 4.2. Even if it would fit (mechanical fit) I figure there might be electrical signal and/or sensor compatiblity issues.
With all the computer controlled this and that, I'd not want to try it!
You might try asking in the transmission forum here at FTE.
Maybe somebody there will know more than I do.

I'd say get 3.73 or 4.11 rear end gear. That would likely help you out.