2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Transmission Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 06:11 PM
poppie
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Petrol
I just bought a used '07 Carbon Matallic Limited . . . 20k on the clock

It seems to be fine thus far
................was it certified by ford and did they offer you the "FREE" 5 year/100,000 mile power train warrantee from ford on their certified used car's & truck's.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:50 AM
Petrol
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, she was 'Certified' and Yes they tossed in the 100k powertrain warrenty!

Old 10-25-2007, 07:12 AM
poppie
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Petrol
Yes, she was 'Certified' and Yes they tossed in the 100k powertrain warrenty!
...............GREAT,enjoy your new truck,glad your covered,we got the same deal with our's!!!!!.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:26 PM
witenight1
New User
Just an update... went to the Dealer to get the latest re-flash done on my '07... Asked them why Oasis had so many fewer TSB's listed all of a sudden, and why the one I wanted to have done on my tranny was now gone... Service Write-up didn't know, but Master Tech I know came out after they finished the LOF. He said - and put it in writing: Ford Engineering Group in Dearborn has put a "stop/hold" on all transmission work for now. They don't know exactly what's happening and don't want to continue to 'hunt and peck'... As a result, the dealers are not authorized to perform any transmission work under warranty until "about mid-November" when they hope to have a 'fix'... Waiting anxiously...

Old 10-28-2007, 09:54 PM
Newton007
Senior User
Gosh what a mess.
I guess I was lucky and the transmission reprogram I got at 300 miles seems to be working, well most of the time any way. I still say that with all the millions of automatic transmissions that Ford has built since 1951, it seems strange to me anyway that they still can't seem to get it right in the first place.

One thing here has to do with the programming. In the old days of valve bodies just using spool valves and springs, the transmission was just programmed to work one way and if it did not there was something wrong. A transmission rebuild and or cleaning the dirt out of the valve body usually put the transmission back to normal operation as it was designed to do at the factory.
Now with computer programs the transmission can be made to do all kinds of things, normal things and crazy things too, all with the help of someone at a computer terminal. I think here is the problem as the gears, clutch and other internal hard parts are for the most part not able to change their function, but the programming of those functions and how those functions relate to each other sure are.
Working with control systems and instrumentation during the past 35 years, I have seen this same problem happen here too. In the old days a control system was engineered in advance to do a task via electronics, pneumatics controls and or hard wired relays. Now these same tasks are done with computer controlled equipment operating the final control devices. Of course this this is "better" as now you can program the control system to do "anything". Well "anything" is not always good, "anything" can blow up a chemical plant sky high, and has.

I think what Ford needs to do is get everyone off the computer and get back to basics, have a team of just a few key engineers only come up with a solid program to just do the basic operation of the transmission only just like a spring and spool valve, valve body would do in the past and forget all the fancy B*** S***.
I think you would have a lot less problems to deal with.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by Newton007; 10-28-2007 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:23 AM
saboola
New User
Originally Posted by Newton007
Gosh what a mess.
I guess I was lucky and the transmission reprogram I got at 300 miles seems to be working, well most of the time any way. I still say that with all the millions of automatic transmissions that Ford has built since 1951, it seems strange to me anyway that they still can't seem to get it right in the first place.

One thing here has to do with the programming. In the old days of valve bodies just using spool valves and springs, the transmission was just programmed to work one way and if it did not there was something wrong. A transmission rebuild and or cleaning the dirt out of the valve body usually put the transmission back to normal operation as it was designed to do at the factory.
Now with computer programs the transmission can be made to do all kinds of things, normal things and crazy things too, all with the help of someone at a computer terminal. I think here is the problem as the gears, clutch and other internal hard parts are for the most part not able to change their function, but the programming of those functions and how those functions relate to each other sure are.
Working with control systems and instrumentation during the past 35 years, I have seen this same problem happen here too. In the old days a control system was engineered in advance to do a task via electronics, pneumatics controls and or hard wired relays. Now these same tasks are done with computer controlled equipment operating the final control devices. Of course this this is "better" as now you can program the control system to do "anything". Well "anything" is not always good, "anything" can blow up a chemical plant sky high, and has.

I think what Ford needs to do is get everyone off the computer and get back to basics, have a team of just a few key engineers only come up with a solid program to just do the basic operation of the transmission only just like a spring and spool valve, valve body would do in the past and forget all the fancy B*** S***.
I think you would have a lot less problems to deal with.

My 2 cents.
For what it's worth, whatever my problem was, is requiring a completely new transmission. They are going to replace it with a new tranny and give it back to me. Apparantley its not common for them to replace the transmission, but since the vehicle is so new (four weeks today, been in the shop two weeks though) they are making an "exception" I guess.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:34 AM
Newton007
Senior User
Wow what a bad situation, been in the shop almost longer than on the road. I wish you all the best on this one. I hope they gave you a loaner.
Please let us know how it turns out.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:42 AM
carbonmetallic
Senior User
what exactly was your transmission doing and how did you get them to decide to replace the whole transmission? If mine acts up again I will be requesting a new one.

Originally Posted by saboola
For what it's worth, whatever my problem was, is requiring a completely new transmission. They are going to replace it with a new tranny and give it back to me. Apparantley its not common for them to replace the transmission, but since the vehicle is so new (four weeks today, been in the shop two weeks though) they are making an "exception" I guess.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:37 PM
IQ9
Senior User
I wanted to add to this that I have an 08 El that seems to surge at a stop. I was told by my dealer that the TSBs for the 07 would not work on an 08 as the control module is different. Does this sound like something Ford would do? Are they trying to address the issues the 07 had with a new control module on th 08s?

Old 10-29-2007, 03:52 PM
carbonmetallic
Senior User
Originally Posted by IQ9
I wanted to add to this that I have an 08 El that seems to surge at a stop. I was told by my dealer that the TSBs for the 07 would not work on an 08 as the control module is different. Does this sound like something Ford would do? Are they trying to address the issues the 07 had with a new control module on th 08s?
that may be the case, but if your 08 surges occasionally that new control module isnt doing much differently.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:17 PM
IQ9
Senior User
I agree. Are you guys having a surge while sitting at a stop. The one on sat night was like being rearened in traffic or hit at a drive through.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:58 PM
Newton007
Senior User
My new 07 would start out in second gear from a full stop, then when taking off would down shift to 1 st gear causing a jolt. So at every stop there was this jolt, lunge, jump leaving a stop light or sign. I was down shifting to low at every stop with the shift lever to keep this from happening. I thought I was back in my hot rod days with a four speed stick transmission again.

At 300 miles I took it to the dealer and they did a reprogram on the transmission. It seemed to help, but it will still start out in second gear before the engine warms up. So now at 4000 miles the first shift in the morning always starts out in second gear, then after it warms up, seems to shift ok.
It is a minor quirk I can live with and I am afraid to have them work on it again with the chance of causing some other problem that may be worse so I just deal with it so far.

At times on a forced down shift the transmission can't seem to find the correct gear, so I just wait for it to get it's act together and get going.

After reading about other peoples transmission problems with their 07, I don't expect to make it to 100,000 miles with out a big problem of some kind.
On a scale of one to ten, I would give this transmission about a four as at least it has not left me stranded out on the highway (yet).

Old 10-29-2007, 05:25 PM
IQ9
Senior User
I was told today that the 07s and 08s have different control modules so the 07 TSB reflashes won't work...I guess I wait until it does it again. I dont' want it ti get more frequent but it needs to for the tech to find it. Thanks for the run down on what exactly is happening with your gives me a better insight as to what could be coming.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:15 PM
Newton007
Senior User
Sometimes at the end of a model year there is a holdover on some things like transmissions, engines other items where for example a 07 transmission may have made its way in to an 08 because of too many 07 parts left over.
I seen it happen before in the past. The only way to really tell for sure is check the serial numbers. I would think the vin number would tell you, but I don't know. Just an idea.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:25 PM
IQ9
Senior User
I was told told she is all 2008 and that is why none of the 2007 TSBs will help me...I guess I will wait and I will post here what happens to me. Thanks for all of the help you folks are GREAT!!

Quick Reply: Transmission Problems?