1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

DRL's only, not brights or fogs? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 09:04 PM
Hendoo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question DRL's only, not brights or fogs? Help!

Hello there, new member here. Had a Ranger last year and just bought a '97 F150 today (4x4, XLT, 4.6L).

I posted this in the electrical section as well, but thought I might get a fatser answer if I posted here as it is viewed more.

On my way home I turned on the headlights and all seemed fine. But when I tried to turn the brights on, no change. If I pulled back on the turn signal stalk the brights come on, but if I push on the turn signal stalk they don't come on. I also realized when I got home that my fog lights don't work either. My truck has DRL's (made in Canada), and I thought they were supposed to be dimmer than the regular headlights, but when I turn my headlights off/on the brightness of the headlights doesn't change. This makes me think that maybe none of my headlights are working?

I checked all my fuses that would relate and they are all good. I don't see a relay indicated in the manual that would cause this if it was bad either.

Any suggestions? Is a switch bad? Thanks in advance for the help, John

Old 01-14-2007, 12:14 AM
screwy
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I’d have a look at the column switch, the fog lights are wired to shut of when the brights come on. An issue in the switch might be preventing both your bights and fogs from coming on. As far as DRL’s, I’ve never heard that they are supposed to be dimmer, but then again I’ve never seen a ford with them, so who knows. I'll try to dig up some diagrams later.

Last edited by screwy; 01-14-2007 at 12:18 AM.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:15 AM
matt_97xl
Senior User
Smile

DRL will turn off when the e-break is applied and the head lights will stay on if turned on.DRL are 30% of the high beams .when the DRL modual fails the head light low beams should still work as it uses the high beam only.The low beams are not in the DRL circuit by design so it fails safe and leaves you with all your normal lighting.
cheers

Old 01-14-2007, 11:11 AM
Hendoo
New User
Thanks for the replies. So you think that the DRL module would cause these symptoms? I am still able to flash the brights, just not have them stay on, and the fog lights don't work either. Could it also be the headlight switch or the mulifunction switch on the steering column?

Old 01-14-2007, 09:47 PM
Hendoo
New User
The dealer I bought it from agreed to fix the problem. I am dropping it off tomorrow so we'll see...I'll let you know what happens.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:08 PM
Hendoo
New User
It was the main headlight switch. Everything works now!