1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Truck is awesome, Dealers stink!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 01:33 PM
expoman55
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Truck is awesome, Dealers stink!

I have an 05 EB with the same crap hole cont. tires that every other Expy came with. I recently took it in do to shakey steering wheel and 'fingernail on chalkboard' sound when putting down the driver window.
Dealer proclaimed the tires were out of balance and most likely out of alignment. They wanted to charge me over $100 to have the tires balanced and aligned. I said that I found it funny that when you pay nearly 50k for a truck with less than 20k miles on it that I had to pay for a tire balance and alignment? He exclaimed it was wear and tear.. HAH... I explained how come when I buy new tires from a tire dealer they are balance and rotated for life of tire free.. He claimes the tire dealers can do that as they are paid for it.. I asked him what the 12k in profit Ford and the dealer made on the truck was for and the warranty as well. he said it was for the big stuff but not for tires.. These guys are slime *****.. it is the pricipal of what is covered and what is not.. I suppose if a window cracked from use that it would not be coverded as it was used! They did cover the bad window noise as it was a manufacture defect on the window moulding and of course had to order parts so no biggie my truck stayed there for an extra day.
I just wanted to weigh in that I think dealers SUCK in a big way, I think my next vehicle wil be a hummer! ( NOT,,,,,, given it is a GM product)
Thanks for reading my dealer Rant!

Old 01-12-2007, 01:42 PM
sbunch1972
New User
Thumbs up

My purchase a Ford steps;

1. buy a ford
2. replace tires
3. drive
4. give every dealership you pass the bird
5. sleep well at night

Old 01-12-2007, 08:47 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hear you man, but it is the tire company, not the dealer you should be mad at. Remember, no matter what Ford makes on the truck, none if it goes to the dealership. They do make money on the sale, but not all that much. FWIW I got screwed on the Conti's as well. Had to buy another set early. Rotated every 10K and they lasted 68K. Now I'm int some Cross Terrain SUV's. Fine tires thus far.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:08 PM
MazdaRangerGuyInSTL
Elder User
Unfortunately the dealership is correct... the factory warranty does NOT cover the tires. Also it does not cover brake linings, belts.. filters, or any other normal wear item (UNLESS they are damaged as a result of a warranty covered failure).

So... had the dealership for whatever reason decide to warranty your tires, they would not get reimbursed by Ford for the repair and they would take a loss on the deal. Now put yourself in their shoes.. if you were running a business would you take a loss on a business transaction?

The only reason you would do so would be to keep a good customer happy.. and dealerships DO from time to time extend this courtesy to good customers, especially if they just bought the vehicle there, or have a long long history of being a good customer there.

I'd be willing to guess that you became irate once they told you it wasn't covered, and because of that they were even LESS willing to work with you.

My advise to you? Find a good tire shop, buy a new set of four tires, get an alignment, and allow them to take care of your free lifetime rotations from now on. And whatever happens, be NICE. Believe me, the good customers get better deals and MUCH better service than the rude ones.

Good luck.

Old 01-14-2007, 09:40 PM
expoman55
Mountain Pass
nope did not get irate!

Hey guys. FYI Nope did not get irrate just asked the guy if he was kidding, I don't believe in hammering people. The dealership policies are not the SMgrs fault . AND I disagree that dealers don't make money on the truck or they would not sell it.. ....RIGHT? . I understand the tires are warranteedby the tire company but again the dealer in this case represents them.. Like the cooper tires I bought for my wifes BMW.. they are balanced and rotated for life by the TIRE DEALER not manufacture. So if I purchased tires from the dealer then they would provide the same as the cooper tire dealer.. it is called customer service! DIDnt the dealer selll the truck? And didnt they make a profit and get paid a dealer hold back from Ford etc. Yep I will go back to the tire dealer NOT truck the dealer. for tires. That said the dealer is accountable for what they sell from FORD. I mean after all Ford did not make the window motors, or the gas tank or the starter or or or.. So does that mean they are not responsible for the warranty? What good is a warranty.. !.. Look I am not trying to be a bone head.. But NO sypmathy to dealers. I have customers as well and YES I have to warranty products I don't manufacture.. Hmmm take a look at a few non US warranties.. Maybe this is why we have less jobs in the U.S..... !
I know it isnot a big deal but I wonder where the ideas of taking care of customers ever went.. ! Oh I know.. The Japanese CMFGRS get it.. as do the Germans. Hmm maybe those folks in Detroit and elsewhere in the U.S. supplying the car manufactures dont need jobs.