1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Info

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2000, 04:40 PM
1960Panel
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Info

I have a 1960 Panel truck.......is it me or is it impossible to find any information of any kind in this entire world on a 1960 Panel truck?????? At the book store.......lots of books on regular trucks, nothing on Panels. My Dilemma......I am making it into a rolling billboard for my business...an aftermaket truck accessory business. I would like to lower it to make it more sporty. Since I cannot find anywhere to buy dropped I-Beams or dropped spindles or disc brakes or power steering or anything of the sort, and putting some off-brand front clip on it is out of the question........4X4. Anyone know what kind of setup I can find, transfer case, axle, would be compatible????? Also, I have the opportunity to purchase a 1960 F-600 with a dump bed on it, the owner said it has a "3 somethin" in it????? It is all original so I thought it would have a 292??? or was a bigger engine an option for the F-600???? What kind of GVW would it have and what should I be able to get for the dually rear-end? If you read this entire message, thank you. Any reply or information will be EXTREMELY!!!!!!! Appreciated.

1960Panel..waiting in the shop for help from a helpless world..............

Old 05-07-2000, 10:45 PM
Jim_V
Senior User
Info

I have a `59 Panel and have been thinking about converting it to disc front and lower it a few inches too.I found a couple advertisers in the Street Rodder magazine that sell complete bolt-on disc brake kits with all new parts to fit a `57-64 truck,I think there prices are around $300,and thats fror everything but another master cylinder to convert to front disc.Also found a place advertising mono-leaf springs,which should drop the front about 4",they cost around $350 pr I think.I was just going to use lowering blocks on the rear.As for the engine in the F-600,it is probably a 312,if it is,it would be better to use that than the 292,and the dually rear end might be kinda hard to sell as it is kinda old.By the way,would your panel have a gactory auto trans? just wondering because my panel has it`s orig 292 and 2spd auto trans,and I have never seen another with that setup.

Old 05-09-2000, 01:44 AM
Bobs60F100
Junior User
Info

As Jim says the only way to lower the truck with the original front end is to use mono springs. I have a set for my 60 F100 but took them off. They give you a harsher ride and my truck is a work truck. But the truck did look good with them on, and I'm using 225 15" tires.(with the trucked lowered the tires filled the fender wells just the right amount) As far as power steering there is a couple of ways to do it, 1: there is a kit that uses the ford ram steering ( used on late 60's early 70's ford full size cars) this replaces you drag link and the power unit bolts to your tie rod and axle, it uses ford parts so it isn't that hard to rebuild if ever nessecary.(the kits use all new parts so this shouldn't be a problem for a while) 2: use a power steering box from a 80 to 84 toyota 4X4. I haven't seen it done but a couple of guys on this board have done it. Supposedly the only thing you need other then the box and power steering pump is a special pitman arm which you can buy from some of the resto parts companys.
Bob Wood
BOBWOOD536(No Email Addresses In Posts!)

Old 05-09-2000, 04:01 PM
1960Panel
New User
Info

Thanks for the info guys. I contacted Bob's F-100 Parts in California today and ordered a catalog. I asked them about the lowering situation and they STRONGLY recommended I DID NOT use a mono spring on the Panel. They said the weight is too much and they actually have 3 or 4 sets there right now that were on pickups that have broken in two. Their dropped I-Beam is $350 and thay say that with removing a few spring pads should give the drop needed. I am quite close to Air-Ride Technologies and being a retailer I can purchase at a discount (a small one but one nonetheless) so they recommended the use of the air bags.....what do you guys think? Also does anyone know where to find reasonably priced STEEL fenders that aren't rusted (or plated with gold for that matter) and reasonably priced?????

1960Panel
'95 F-150
'91 SHO
'81 Flareside
'83 Flareside
'78 Bronco
'79 Bronco
'89 Stang
oh yeah.......22 years old (I'm a youngun)

Old 05-09-2000, 11:01 PM
Bobs60F100
Junior User
Info

As far as I know no one makes complete fenders. So you will have to buy used sheet metal and they are expensive. But if all you have is rust on the lower part of the fender (which all 57-60's seem to have) you can get patch panels for that. And they aren't that expensive.
Bob Wood

Old 05-12-2000, 05:19 AM
58Model
Senior User
Info