Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3L oil leak?? look here

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Dunatic12
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when I had my leaking issue there was a lot of oil all over and I had a hard time seeing the actual leak. I had to climb in there with the engine running with a mirror and a light. those HPOP lines will only leak with engin running and the valley on the intake manifold holds a lot of oil so by the time you start to notice the leak there is probably half a quart just standing on top of your motor. I have seen a few posts regarding the turbo pedistal leaking as well but I don't know exactly what that is.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:54 AM
rmfhogan
New User
well the thing is i would think that if the lines were leaking at all they would have some kind of residue around them or on them but theres nothing and the only thing i can see to be leaking is the oil pressure sensor and the back of the hpop? it has a big snapring idk what it is but it has oil on it too. and like i said the turbo has a spray around the outside of it ..... thanks for the tip tho ....Roy

Old 05-04-2010, 10:58 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
The plug with the snap ring is NOT prone to leaking, and has only LPOP pressure on it, maximum.

What may be leaking back there is the small brass plug, which is sealed with LocTite and an O-ring.

If that's what's leaking, read this before attempting that plug:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...fferently.html

The purpose of having you read that is to impress on you how important it is to have the threads SPOTLESSLY CLEAN of oil.

It's an easy fix, and the HPOP can stay in place to do it.

Pop

Old 05-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Dunatic12
Freshman User
these are the things that all have o-rings that come in the $35 kit from ford. and this is where the HPOP oil lines actually leak from. Like POP says pretty easy to fix but they leak a lot of oil in a short period of time.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:36 AM
rmfhogan
New User
oil leak

thanks i did look a bit closer today and i have a fitting and that plug are seeping along with the oil pressure sensor. is there any lines on the back of the motor that have fittings on them that may leak too? i would like to replace most of the easy stuff while i have it tore apart... any suggestions?

Old 05-04-2010, 05:19 PM
Dunatic12
Freshman User
I believe the HPOP lines have the same sort of connection at the injector rail but really don't know for sure, I believe that Guzzle would probably know the answer to this one.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:02 PM
guzzle92
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rmfhogan
thanks i did look a bit closer today and i have a fitting and that plug are seeping along with the oil pressure sensor. is there any lines on the back of the motor that have fittings on them that may leak too? i would like to replace most of the easy stuff while i have it tore apart... any suggestions?
On the back of the motor? There are only 2 plugs back there. One for the fuel rail and one for the oil rail. The oil rail plug is enormous, over 1/2 pound each and has been known to leak but is also rare. These plugs close up the rails from the machining of the fuel and oil rails during manufacture and are difficult to reach with the engine in the bay.

On the top of the engine there are 4 ports on each head that are machined into the oil rail. Some are plugged, one is for the HPOP hose connection and on the drivers side, the front port is where your ICP is installed. All of the ports require the same o-ring but the HPOP connector has one o-ring internally.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:51 PM
Dunatic12
Freshman User
Hey Guzzle, do you carry all those o-rings? I believe that yours are probably less expensive than gettin em through ford and Roy may need some from the sound of things.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:00 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Dunatic12
I believe that yours are probably less expensive than gettin em through ford and Roy may need some from the sound of things.
You must be new around here.

Bob (Guzzle) is where we get all our O-rings (and some real specialized repair parts).

Ford? Who or what is Ford?

Need OEM parts? See Ed.

Need aftermarket parts? See Clay.

We don' need no steeeeenkin'..........

We gots FTE!

Pop

Old 05-04-2010, 09:52 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, this has got me thinking "Maybe 290K isn't the reason I've got an oil puddle in my valley pan!?" I noticed it a month or so ago... I don't recall it being there last year. I've got a small amount of oil sitting in my valley pan, but it isn't an obvious, overly oily, tell-tale leak either. The whole engine is fairly greasy so, I really don't see a leak. Could it be this, or are there other places that are prone to leaking that'll cause puddles in the valley pan?

Old 05-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Dunatic12
Freshman User
yep, relatively new to doin all my own stuff. Tired of overpaying to get stuff done right. Thanks for everyone's help.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Dunatic12
Freshman User
I have the same year truck and have 250k on mine. I would almost bet your o-rings are seeping a bit.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:47 AM
rmfhogan
New User
oil leak

yea u kno actually i do need the o-rings.. and im just gonna go with changing them for now and see what happens.. i appreciate everyones help in the search for the leak but another question the orings for the turbo pedastool atr they on the intake or the turbo just so i kno i am lookin in the right place to make sure its not leaking... seems as if i sould never need a dealer product again lol everyone here has all of that covered ......

Old 05-12-2010, 09:40 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Ok, after my 3000lb haul from Sturat's Draft to home (2.5hrs through the mountains), I really sprung a leak. The oil was ALL over the truck underneath... I couldn't figure it out. The exhaust was covered, the passenger-side springs were soaked, the transmission looked like every seal in it was leaking... it was messy. I figured rear main, but I couldn't understand why since it was only 30,000 miles old. So, I went back on top to look at that "little" puddle of oil that was up there... it was more like a lake! It was getting so deep that it was pouring down the back of the motor making the mess I had. I figured it had to be either the HPOP or the turbo pedestal. I called Clay because I know he has an e99 and he's always willing to help... I don't know why he puts up with me! Anyways, he suggested mopping up the oil with rags so the oil was mostly gone. Then, I could look for where the oil was draining to, the front or back. Not but 5 minutes after cleaning it and running it, I had a puddle on the front of the engine. The HPOP has got a leak. Clay is a genius! This is a great way to rule out one or the other... I wish you'd post so I could rep ya! I can't tell, but it looks to be either the outlet fittings on the right, or the plug right underneath. Clay suggested getting a 17* pump from a junk yard and having the guy at Terminator rebuild it and mod it. You guys are just changing the O-rings... I have 290,000 miles on my truck. What are y'all's thoughts? I wouldn't mind going with the 17* just because I'll get some more power, but money is a bit of an issue here... thanks guys!

Old 05-13-2010, 09:07 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Should I put O-rings in mine, or get another pump?

Quick Reply: 7.3L oil leak?? look here