1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Charging Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2000, 03:46 PM
bigred52
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charging Problems

I have a 52 F-3 w/ original flathead V-8. Im still running the 6 volt positive ground system and still have the generator on it for now, but I can only get a couple starts off it and then it completely dies and has to be recharged. I had it running and pulled off the positive battery cable and the truck died. IS THAT NORMAL??? I thought it would run off the generator. If anyone has an idea of what I should do please get back to me.
Thanx
Kyle
P>S> Does anyone know if you can make a 6 volt pos.grd generator into a 6 volt pos grd alternator???

Old 10-28-2000, 09:45 PM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Charging Problems

You probably need to "polarize" the generator. I don't remember how to do that. I know it involes flashing a wire to another terminal to make the generator charge.

Old 10-30-2000, 12:36 PM
chenders
Senior User
Charging Problems

I'm running the same set up, and have had the same problem. Yes, the truck should run just off the generator. I took my gen and regulator to be tested, there are still a few shops around me that still deals with this stuff. Unless it has had severe mositure exposure, my guess is that your generator is ok, it is capable of putting out +60amps, it most likly is your regulator. You did polorize it, by creating an arch between the bat and arm terminals on the regulator. Also, an old school trick is to take off the cover of the regulator, take a fresh dollar bill and slide it through the three contacts. If that doesn't work, $30 for a new reg. is worth a shot.
Good luck, keep it 6 volts pos.
Chris

Old 10-30-2000, 10:43 PM
bigred52
New User
Charging Problems

Thanx for the replies. I messed with the regulator and completely cleaned the generator and sanded off some of the paint on the gen bracket to make sure it was getting a good ground. I tried it out and now it's charging!!!
But for future reference I would like to know step by step how to polorize it.
Thanx
kyle

Old 11-02-2000, 11:39 PM
viking
Junior User
Charging Problems