help with 98 5.4l

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 08:47 PM
sgtdude
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with 98 5.4l

I have a 1998 e350 box truck with a 5.4l v8 in it...the truck has 41k miles and there is a terrible knock coming from the engine...we have had it to several different shops and also friends have given their opinons...no one says the same thing..now I want some expert help so here are the symptoms give it your best shot.

there is an engine knock that sounds like a lifter knock or rod knock
several have said it isnt the lifters becuase they are hydralic or something like that
they have all ruled out it being a rod knock
if in park and you rev engine it gets loud
truck has plenty of power it will get up to 65-70 without a problem
noise is not noticiable when driving
noise comes and goes when in drive and while driving
when cresting a hill or entering or exiting a highway ramp you hear it
when shifting you feel a little shake
we had a new fly wheel installed(repair shop said this was the problem)
we put a new pcv valve in(friend said this could be problem)

any help is appreciated...and if you feel its the motor where is a good place to get a new ford crate motor from????? I dont want a remanufactured one.

thanks

Don

Old 01-06-2007, 10:59 PM
verne56
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it was my vehicle I would get a mechanics stethescope or make one out of neoprene hose and quarter inch copper tubing, pull the engine cover, and have someone drive me around while trying to pinpoint the source of the knock-under valve covers, bent push rod,down by oil pan -rod bearing,from the front of the engine-water pump bearing, something hitting the fan. Could be a lot of things.
If it throws a rod finally I've heard that www.rockautoparts.com is good as far as prices go. Hope this helps

Old 01-06-2007, 11:03 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Hello- Welcome to FTE! I have moved your post to the specialized engine forum we have here for your question. Check out the list of tech forums we have on FTE. There is a wealth of information and expertise here to help you. Check the links at the bottom, and the menu bar at the top, of the page for more information and resources. Have fun!

Old 01-08-2007, 07:31 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Definitely not a push rod since you don't have them, almost sounds like a low end connecting rod perhaps, the shake is interesting though. Where do you feel it? Is it more in the floor or the whole van or what? I am wondering about a bad engine mount with that shake problem.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:33 AM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Blown head gasket?