1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Few Questions on ZF5 removal on my 94 turbodiesel.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 08:22 PM
jlegge007
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Few Questions on ZF5 removal on my 94 turbodiesel.

1- are the top brackets that tie into the crossmember ends have to be removed or can they be pried out of the way to slide crossmember out?
2-How does tranny shifter come out? Just yank it up or what?
3-I am planning on leaving transfer case shift linkage intact. Just gonna back off the nut on the clamp that holds this shifter and punch it loose. On the right track?
4-Exaust system wont crack when I pull crossmember and let drivetrain drop down? Im gonna let it drop as little as possible to get 6 bolts out of transfer case and to get upper tranny bolts on the bell.
5-Looks like I gonna have to drop carrier bearing and the whole rear driveshaft has to come out in one piece seperated from rear differential and slid out of transfer case.( I know to mark driveshafts).
6-Pull starter.
7-Seperate clutch linkage,ETC.
I just want to picture in my mind what is involved here. Havent done a job like this since 20 some years ago.
Thanks, Joe in PA

Old 01-03-2007, 08:38 PM
1997F-350
Postmaster
its been about a year and i cant look at my truck right now. so here goes from memory

Originally Posted by jlegge007
1- are the top brackets that tie into the crossmember ends have to be removed or can they be pried out of the way to slide crossmember out? from what i remember just remove all the necessary bolts and nuts for the crossmembers and they come out very easy.
2-How does tranny shifter come out? Just yank it up or what? remove boot inside cab(4 phillips head screws), lift boot up out of the way, i wanna say there is 4 bolts you gotta then remove, lift shifter up a tad bit, once you can see under that cap you will see 2 brown plastic pieces, hold those with your fingers and slide it out.
3-I am planning on leaving transfer case shift linkage intact. Just gonna back off the nut on the clamp that holds this shifter and punch it loose. On the right track?correct....but if you are going to separate the xfer from tranny you have to remove/loosen the linkage bolts to access the xfer to tranny bolts.
4-Exaust system wont crack when I pull crossmember and let drivetrain drop down? Im gonna let it drop as little as possible to get 6 bolts out of transfer case and to get upper tranny bolts on the bell.loosen and remove the clamp on the exhaust housing of turbo to downpipe.
5-Looks like I gonna have to drop carrier bearing and the whole rear driveshaft has to come out in one piece seperated from rear differential and slid out of transfer case.( I know to mark driveshafts).not unless the earlier year trucks are different. the driveshaft bolts to the shaft sticking out of xfer case that is all i had to remove.
6-Pull starter.yes
7-Seperate clutch linkage,ETC.the slave pops out of the bracket pretty easy
I just want to picture in my mind what is involved here. Havent done a job like this since 20 some years ago.
Thanks, Joe in PA
have fun its not too bad.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:08 AM
jlegge007
Freshman User
Thanks for the great advice

Everything is going fine so far. Tomorrow or sunday I drop transfer case and then tranny. Everything else is disconnected.
Thanks,
Joe in PA

Old 01-11-2007, 10:01 PM
jlegge007
Freshman User
When I was removing my ZF5 tranny I noticed...

After I pulled my tranny out I noticed some antifreeze dripping on floor. When the crossmember was removed and the tranny dropped down so I could get to bell bolts and remove. The top radiator hose didnt have enough slack in it and it tugged on my thermostat top pipe. The flange above the thermostat is where my leak was. Keep an eye on how tight that hose gets while doing this job.
Also my fan jammed up into my shroud wich probably isn't good for anything(waterpump shaft,clutch fan etc.) If I ever do this job again I will loosen the four bolts for the shroud. Just thought I would share.
94 7.3 turbo.
Joe in PA

Old 01-11-2007, 10:09 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Floor jack and a 2x4 under the oil pan would have prevented all of that. Wish I would have been watching this thread earlier......sorry.

It also comes in handy to raise/lower the engine to help the alignment when putting the tranny back up.