2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.4L 3V spark plug change question

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 05:22 PM
tomdoggie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets let this dead horse die is peace.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:43 PM
CMOS
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by garman
Hey CMOS of course you didn't have a problem with your 3.0 liter ranger, the problem is with 04 through 07 5.4 liter v-8's

Duh. I *HAD* an 04 FX4 5.4L prior to the Ranger.

CMOS

Old 01-14-2008, 02:43 PM
Skarr
Freshman User
Originally Posted by tomdoggie
Lets let this dead horse die is peace.
I'd also like to know more about this new tool. If it's easy to work with and solves the problem, that might be a solution for the DIY set.

Is it more or less expensive than the Rotunda tool that the TSB uses?

I have 39K on my 2004 and like most of us I'm really on the fence about doing this myself. I talked a local dealer who quoted $300 to change the plugs (which seems reasonable) but would charge for additional labor if plugs were broken (which I find unacceptable). At ths same time, I've read many threads of people's horror stories doing this simple replacement but few success stories.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:50 PM
garman
Junior User
sorry CMOS, didn't understand, garman

Old 01-15-2008, 07:01 PM
whitefordexplorer
Tuned
whatever you do, dont wait till 100k to change them, dont wait till 80k to change them, change them when the maintenance book tells you..... im not sure if its still recommended at 60k or not, but thats when i would do it. im not sure if ford still has the whole plug poppin out of the head while running situation, in wich you have to either Heli-Coil it, or change the head, but that sucks *** too....instead of askin the service writer (basically a guy in a suit who doesnt get under the hood of ANY car) ask the oldest Certified Ford Technician there, and hell tell you exactly what to do. (if he likes you) other than that, take your time, dont get angry, and keep the beer handy, cause its gonna take about half a day.

Signed
-F.N.G.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:06 PM
CMOS
Laughing Gas
IMO - I would pull or replace the plugs every 40K miles to be sure. You can do this yourself and after doing it once, can probably get it down to about 1.5 hours labor time. It's worth the piece of mind to pull them this "often" to ensure there's no major issues.

CMOS

Old 01-17-2008, 08:57 PM
Golflug
Senior User
Well after reading all of these horror stories you guys have scared the S%&* out of me. I plan on keeping this truck for quite a while. My 05 screw only has 27,800 on it but I bought a new SK spark plug socket, a can of PB Blaster, a set of Autolight HT-1 plugs and a bottle of Nickel Anti-Seize. I printed out the TSB and said my prayers. I started the removal this evening. After removing the coils and breaking the plugs loose an eigth of a turn, I soaked them down and let them sit for an hour. The removal was completed successfully!!! All of the plugs were pretty tight and made quiter a bit of noise on the removal. None of the plugs had any corrosion or rust like I've seen in some of the posts but they did have a lot of carbon build-up on the shields. The installation went smooth and I'm back on the road in about 2 hours. Now maybe I can sleep at night for a while. I'll probably tackle this again in another 30k Just to keep my fears from re-occuring.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:54 AM
CMOS
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Golflug
Well after reading all of these horror stories you guys have scared the S%&* out of me. I plan on keeping this truck for quite a while. My 05 screw only has 27,800 on it but I bought a new SK spark plug socket, a can of PB Blaster, a set of Autolight HT-1 plugs and a bottle of Nickel Anti-Seize. I printed out the TSB and said my prayers. I started the removal this evening. After removing the coils and breaking the plugs loose an eigth of a turn, I soaked them down and let them sit for an hour. The removal was completed successfully!!! All of the plugs were pretty tight and made quiter a bit of noise on the removal. None of the plugs had any corrosion or rust like I've seen in some of the posts but they did have a lot of carbon build-up on the shields. The installation went smooth and I'm back on the road in about 2 hours. Now maybe I can sleep at night for a while. I'll probably tackle this again in another 30k Just to keep my fears from re-occuring.

Golf,

Well done! Carbon copy of what I used and how I did it, with the same plug description. I also used a NI based anti-sieze.

FORD? Do you hear us? You're scaring the s**t out of us.

CMOS

Old 01-18-2008, 09:28 AM
wasa 4246
New User
This fellow that changed his plugs at 27,500 did a smart thing. The real problems are after 75,000 mi. The plugs will most certainly break off then. It does occur sometimes at less miles. I wonder if different locations in the country with other climates could cause some plugs to be worse than others.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:58 PM
whitefordexplorer
Tuned
2 hours.... NOT BAD! all the plugs were still in one piece and had no ceramics missing or anything like that? just some carbon build up huh? switch to a higher grade fuel to help diminish that, but then again who can afford gas these days? i have to take out a small loan just to fill up my tank.... i think i owe a loan shark my arm.......

Old 02-25-2008, 07:19 PM
wasa 4246
New User
I have a tool that will remove those broken plugs. Fords tool only does half the job. This is a very big problem and as usual it is going to cost the customer big money down the road. My tool really works and several dealerships have it now and are very pleased with it. Warrenty will not cover the cost of the head being removed. Check down the road and see just how people really start yelling real soon.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:44 PM
Golflug
Senior User
please share some information on this tool of yours. Did you make it yourself. maybe post a picture for us. :-)

Old 02-25-2008, 08:02 PM
wasa 4246
New User
I am new to this sight and I don't think I can post a picture. Can you help me out here? I do have a picture and yes we are producing this tool.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:20 AM
exiled
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by wasa 4246
Warrenty will not cover the cost of the head being removed.
What do you mean? Are you talking about if you break the sparkplug yourself? I can see Ford trying to wiggle out of a warranty claim if you break the plug yourself, but thats just not the rule. I know a guy that has kept extended warranty on his 04. I told him when I pulled the plugs on my 05 back in 05 and found what I found to pull his and clean them up. Of course he waited untell last month and 87K on the clock to change plugs. He broke 3. He still has extended warranty and it covered it. It only cost him $100. Another guy that comes and buys grain from us has always let Ford do his maintance on his cars and trucks. At 100K he let them change his plugs. They broke 5. Gave him a loaner and sent him home. He got his plugs changed for $50 and 2 days w/ out his truck. There is a problem. It is very easy to solve. #1 I dont think Ford is doing its part in solving it. All they have to do is go back to 30K plug changes. That should solve most of it. I looked in what is suppose to be an 07 maintance book. I say suppose cause the cover was tore off. The lady has an 07 owner's manual so I assumed it was the right book. It still has 100K plug changes.#2 the mustangs came out with the 3v heads. Last year I bought my wife one. I have found out if it is the same plug design. I'm just going to assume it is and every 15K I'm going to pull 'em and clean 'em.
I know it will alot of money, but if you did'nt get on the early train on this subject then I would take my truck to a dealer for the plug changes. I dont care what someone says. If you let a company work on your truck and they break something they have to fix it. They have to return to you your car in as good shape or better than you brought it in. They have several options they can take. Issurance is one road open for them. Theres a dealer here that if the truck has high miles on it they just pull the heads 1st. I hear it saves them alot of time and money.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:33 AM
wasa 4246
New User
What I meant was alot of people are waiting until they have over 50k to 75k before they have a tuneup and the warranty is gone. By this time it's a sure thing the plugs will break. I've heard that the dealerships are sticking the cost to the customer for removing the head. You have to remember these plugs were first used in 2003 and techs weren't aware of the problem until the vehicle already had to many miles. If you change the plugs before 50k miles your probably safe.they have broke at 40k.

Quick Reply: 5.4L 3V spark plug change question