1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

speedometer drive gears

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2001, 06:28 PM
Craig
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speedometer drive gears

I've got an FMX transmission in my '56 and need to be able to hook up the speedometer. Unfortunately the drive gear on the end of the speedo cable is gone. Ford doesn't make them anymore and I can't find a shop here that has one. Does anybody here have one they'd be willing to part with? Or, do I have to bite the bullet and put the C6 I have waiting on the rack into the truck? Do C6 speedo drive gears work with FMXs? Thanks in advance.
Craig

Old 10-14-2001, 10:52 PM
truckfarmer
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
speedometer drive gears

I went from a FMX to C6 then to an AOD and used the same cable for all of them. It is from a 65 F100.

Old 10-15-2001, 10:07 AM
Craig
Senior User
speedometer drive gears

The cables are the same, but are the drive gears interchangeable? Did you change the same plastic drive gear on the end of the cable? From what I've found the FMXs have a gear with no end support, C4/6s have a stud on the end that runs in a small bushing or hole in the trans housing and I don't what the AOD has, but it's probably similar to the C4/6.

Old 10-15-2001, 10:12 AM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
speedometer drive gears

I don't know who told you they don't make those speedo gears, but they are full of you know what! You need the rear end ratio and the tire size and what engine and tranny and they can look it up. They don't even need a exact model or year. I was in Ford parts for 20 years until recently and it's easy to look up. Find another dealer with some parts people who aren't so lazy and dumb!

Old 10-15-2001, 06:50 PM
Craig
Senior User
speedometer drive gears

Shoot Barry, too bad you don't have the catalogs right there with you. I thought you guys took them home at night! The guys at my local Ford store are pretty good, but the computer doesn't have much of the old stuff anymore. And the books? The silver fish got them first. It doesn't seem like Ford supports anything over five years old and certainly not a truck that's older than me! I'm going to use a set of VDO gauges with an electronic speedo so the gear ratio doesn't matter. I will set the speedo by driving a mile and pushing a button on the gauge. Slick!

Old 10-16-2001, 12:27 AM
50yellowbeast
Senior User
speedometer drive gears