Eastwood Rust Convertor app. temperature

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 11:44 PM
IowaTower
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eastwood Rust Convertor app. temperature

Eastwood Rust Convertor comes with a note recommending application between 70-90 degrees. Between now and spring, my available shop space will be between 50-68 degrees, and the boss'll get crunchy at 66, 67, or 68.

Does anyone have experience applying it below 70, or should I wait until spring?

Old 12-06-2006, 07:49 AM
cujo8
Posting Guru
The rust convertor process is a chemical reaction and chemical reactions are effected by temperature. At colder temperatures the chemical reactions will go a lot slower, but should still go to completion as long as you give it a longer reaction time. You may want to get a heat lamp and focus it on the area you are working on. I live in Upstate NY and I have been dealing with this heat issue for many years. I have a blue flame heater that runs on propane and a kerosene heater to help me heat up my garage and workshop during the winter months. It's a real PITA, but makes working in the garage more bearable, but I don't know if it will keep your Boss from getting Crunchy? :-)

Old 12-06-2006, 08:01 AM
EastwoodCompany
Former Vendor
Your best bet is to stick to the recommended application temperature range.

We actually had a similiar post on our forum. Here is the response that our Eastwood Tech gave -

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1>

<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->

"Most primers, paints, fillers and other specialized coatings are designed to be ideally used in a 70F to 90F window for best performance and longevity. Sometimes higher than 90F temperatures are difficult to avoid but are not as detrimental as under 70F temps. I would strongly avoid using the products in less than 65F temperatures and that is not just ambient air temperature. The metal temperature of your truck as well as the temperature of the products also must be considered. Keep in mind too that rapid temperature changes from cold to warm can cause condensation which will certainly cause failure."

Old 12-06-2006, 08:07 PM
IowaTower
Senior User
Thanks for the answers.

I started considering a propane heater today -- I don't know why I didn't think of it before. Prolly cuz it costs money I don't want to spend. :-)

My boss is pretty lenient about my projects, so long as they don't interfere with work time or cost him money, and those extra few degrees just really seem to set him to grumbling.