Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Leakey Injector

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 08:37 PM
geaux tigers
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leakey Injector

Hi just wanted some direction on a leak on the fuel line at the injector. I can see it oozing out around the fitting... should I just try to tighten see if that helps or what I know is the real answer, get some new o rings. I never have touched this engine. I don't know what would be involved either. It's an 89 7.3 non turbeaux with about 110K. I would appreciate some insight.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:16 PM
KJLYPW
Posting Guru
Oozing around which fitting, the top of nut on the line, lose or cracked line. Around the plastic return line fitting, you already have the answer, o-rings and old hoses, replace the lot! Its an easy job, with lots of info on this site.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:33 PM
deanj
Senior User
It probably is the return lines, just under the nut that is on the injector is a plastic cap, with fuel lines joining the next injector. Under these caps are 2 'O' rings - most likely have failed. REPLACE ALL OF THEM. There are kits that have the 'O' rings, fuel line and clamps. Remove the nuts on the injectors and try and "spring" them out of the way donot bend to much. Assemble the new return lines on the bench for each bank, use lots of lube on the caps and rings. Put the top ring on first, then the lower one.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:53 PM
geaux tigers
New User
Thanks for the info, I guess I'll need to look for a kit for this right?

Old 12-04-2006, 10:17 PM
bl311
Senior User
I got my kit from www.intellidog.com, www.mwfi.com has them as well. Is yours a turbo? If so you need a different kit that has a couple of different parts.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:53 AM
geaux tigers
New User
Thanks deanj and bl311. I did some reasearch and Ford sells the O ring kit for about $17.00. Do I really need to replace the clamps and return lines if mine look ok or do "while I'm at it" and replace the lines and caps?

Old 12-05-2006, 11:40 AM
bl311
Senior User
Do the hoses have grey paint? If so they are original and get hard over time and will not leak fuel but will let air into the system when it sits. The caps also get old and brittle and can allow air leaks. For $40 more, you can replace everything while it's all off and be done. Have you bypassed the return line to the fuel filter? What is your truck info?

Old 12-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Hamberger
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would suggest you replace it all.

The o-rings get hard and let air leaks in.

If you just do the O-rings, sometimes the plastic caps have deformed (ovalled) over time and even with new O-rings you might get leaks.

The hoses usually get hard and develop cracks under the clips and let air in so they should all be replaced.

For $40 odd dollars you should get a whole kit that will restore everything to factory specs and you won't have to worry about it again for atleast 5 years.

Seb....

Old 12-05-2006, 12:41 PM
deanj
Senior User
Yes, ford sell the o rings for $ 16 or $18, diesel injection service sell the whole kit for $27.95 + shipping. Just replacing the o rings, still have a leak? is it the lines or caps or ?????.

Old 12-05-2006, 02:55 PM
geaux tigers
New User
Thanks guys. I do have the original lines on. I ordered the Injector install kit today should be in Thurs. It comes with some washers (copper) for the injectors. Well my last question is do I need to remove the injectors to replace the upper O rings then install the injector with a new gasket? Is it difficult to remove the injector WITH the copper gasket because the book talks about a special tool to remove the gasket if it doesn't come out with the injector.

Old 12-05-2006, 03:13 PM
bl311
Senior User
You don't have to remove the injector to replace the o-rings. It would be easier to replace them if you did but that's only if you were going to service or replace the injectors as well. My copper washers luckily came out with the injectors. Most people use a dental pick to pull them out if they don't. You have to be careful about dirt falling into the chamber though.

Old 12-05-2006, 04:07 PM
geaux tigers
New User
Well there doesn't look like any advantage to removing the injectors then if I can get at and replace the O rings without doing so. Do you think?

Old 12-05-2006, 04:42 PM
Hamberger
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't pull the injectors unless you are going to change them. All the topworks on the injector (caps, o-rings, hoses, ) can be changed without removing the injector. Just loosen the injector line nut and move the line out of the way a bit. Be careful don't force the lines or risk bending them. They all have enough play in them to let you move them aside while you change the topworks only.

To get more play in the lines it helps to do all four injectors on each bank at the same time.

Best of luck.......

Seb....

Old 12-05-2006, 05:01 PM
geaux tigers
New User
Hey Thanks Hamberger and everone sounds good if you think I'll have the room to work without removing injectors - I didn't really want to do that unless I had to anyway. I'll start working on that when my parts arrive I'm hoping Thurs.

Old 12-05-2006, 06:39 PM
ziffle
New User
what kindof lube do you use on the o rings

Quick Reply: Leakey Injector