1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

need tips on lowering my 55.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2002, 01:21 AM
55forder
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello friends. I want to lower my 55 f100. Not scraping low, but low enough to look low, and hopefully handle a little better. Ive seen u-bolt kits, for like $90, but that is for the rear only. I want my truck to sit even, right now it is much higher in back, than in front. Any helpful sites, or info will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Old 03-08-2002, 03:00 PM
jaye
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are many ways to lower your truch some sorta expensive. You can buy a short stack from Mid-fifty for the front or the rear with reverse eyes for the rear, you can also go with the mono leaf for the front or rear, they also have shackles for the rear that will lower it a few inches if you don't want to buy springs. I used the original leafs springs on the front of my 55 and bracket & springs from an 87 bronco for the rear. It's not super low but it sits pretty low. check my gallery.

Old 03-08-2002, 08:39 PM
55forder
Elder User

Real nice truck, but I want mine lower than that. Im thinking of reverse u-bolting the rear springs, for about 4" drop, and maybe cutting the front coil overs for an inch or so up front. whaddya' guys think?

Old 03-08-2002, 11:10 PM
bigdave85
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey
i don t know what your thinking unless you put a different clip in it you dont have coil springs to cut in the front

Old 03-09-2002, 12:24 AM
55forder
Elder User

I do have coil over springs in the front. The guy that owned it prior to me must have installed them. The front leafs are almost flat, and there are coils over shocks that are installed. The rear springs have a pretty nice bow to them. I was told that if I put flat leafs on the rear, id be low, but wont that give me a crappy ride? Are u-bolts better to use? Thank you.:-)

Old 03-09-2002, 06:20 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 09-Mar-02 AT 07:34 AM (EST)]55Forder

I don't know for sure what has been done to the front suspension of your truck already. Sounds like either a few leafs were pulled or perhaps somebody intentionally removed some temper from the main leaf with a cutting torch. Whatever you do, you will need about 3 inches of shock travel for an acceptable ride. You are pretty limited to what you can do with the straight axle frontend. Aftermarket springs might get you closer to what you want with acceptable ride quality, steering geometry etc.
It's not difficult to get the first 2 inches of drop from the rear for around a $100. You can pull a couple leaves and/or use 2 inch drop shackles (actually longer shackles) on the rear spring mount. You can also redrill the front mount up and forward on the frame. I would use an angle guage before I did that because you have to keep differential pinion angle in the ballpark. (See the article on John Niolon's website). You should still have adequate shock travel with these actions. You can get a 4 inch drop by putting the differential on top of springs. This will also require that you C-channel the frame, pray for adequate shock travel, tire clearance and pinion angle that will work. Underestimate the importance of shock travel and driveline angles and you'll take the fun out of driving your truck. You have to have the money to finish the chain reaction you may start if you push your luck with a 4 or 5 inch drop. Sorry if any of this sounds like a lecture. I get pretty windy and it is not intended that way.

Dewayne
53 F100

Old 03-09-2002, 07:23 PM
55forder
Elder User

Lectures = Learning. Dont trip. Right now I am more concerned with evening out the stance of my truck. It is a bit higher in the back, and I want it to sit flat. I might just have to go with the leaf springs under my axel. Yea, or nay?

Old 03-09-2002, 09:33 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts

"You can get a 4 inch drop by putting the differential on top of springs. This will also require that you C-channel the frame, pray for adequate shock travel, tire clearance and pinion angle that will work. Underestimate the importance of shock travel and driveline angles and you'll take the fun out of driving your truck."

All the previous posters gave you good advice. You basically can't lower your truck alot without making other serious modifications. But, if you are like me, you are hard headed and will try it anyway. You won't lose anything but the time and effort required to do it. I took three leaves out of each side of my front springs and it looked good but drove terrible. I put one leaf back in on each side, and the ride is ok, but turns are still taken with caution. What I realized later is the leaf springs have more than one job. They not only hold the weight of the truck, they locate and stablize the axle too. When you take leaves out, the axle will tend to flop around and shift back and forth.

Old 03-10-2002, 01:07 AM
55forder
Elder User

Yeah, I dont want to take out any leafs, but I may want to purchase a pair of these single spring things that I've seen around. I was also told to have the springs straightened, and I can go lower. I will however have to consider performance and safety. I'd rather save the money and have it done right, than go cheap, and be riding not knowing when Im going to break something. She has been sitting for two years already, another couple of months wont matter. I've heard alot of reasons NOT to do things, but the only suggestions I've heard are to take out leafs. If I switch the leaf springs under the axel, am I going to have to worry about clearance as well? Most of the trucks that I see in magazines seem to have been done this way.

Old 03-10-2002, 10:03 AM
truckfarmer
Posting Guru
Post need tips on lowering my 55.

the previous post talked of moving the front spring mount (rear springs) up. I have done this a couple times with success. Cut the rivets off, drill 4 holes, per side, about 1 1/2" higher on the frame rail, and re-install the mount with grade 8 bolts. Is good for about a 2" drop. Heck, they even sell front mounts that will drop it. Add longer shackles for another 2". Get a catalog from Mid Fifties. They have suggestions on what modifications/parts will result in what drop. They also sell the lowered front mounts.

Old 03-11-2002, 03:06 AM
55forder
Elder User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 11-Mar-02 AT 04:07 AM (EST)]Thank you guys, I'm going to tackle it this weekend!! I cant wait.

Old 03-11-2002, 08:38 PM
55forder
Elder User

Well, I ordered rear spring shackles that will start me with a 2" drop in the rear. That will put the front fender at 11" and the rear fender at 11". Now I figure if I add mono leaf springs all the way around, I can drop it another 2-3" all the way around. Is there a tech article anyone has seen that will show me the easiest way to take off my springs, and install the hangers? Thanks you guys! I am becoming informed.

Old 03-11-2002, 09:49 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend

Not aware of any tech articles. It is a fairly easy job with an impact wrench and/or an acetylene torch. You can post your questions here. You are about to alter your pinion angle. Have you visited John Niolon's site yet and read his driveline article? Magnetic based angle guages are cheap at Home Depot, Harbor Freight etc. You should be able to redrill your front mount and get some more drop and possibly correct pinion angle if necessary at the same time. Do post your experience with the mono-springs. I have no experience with them.

Dewayne
53 F100

Old 03-12-2002, 03:40 AM
55forder
Elder User

I dont know where Johns site is. I read some articles here, but they give no mention to his site.

Old 03-12-2002, 05:46 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend

http://jniolon.clubfte.com/ John has some helpful info there.

Dewayne
53 F100