what can I tow?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 11:44 PM
Nachoman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what can I tow?

I know this may sound simple but I am trying to figure out how much trailer my old truck will safely pull. The truck is a 1979 F-150, with the 300 Six, and an auto trans. It feels like it is geared a little high, and I do not believe it has any real towing package. This truck was the ad truck and my father in law bought it. He added air, and a trans cooler. Other than that it is stock.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:11 AM
Eric C.
Elder User
Owners manual and the safety sticker on the drivers side door will give you the manufacturers weights (Gross Vehicle and Gross Combined Vehicle). I suggest tyou verify your empty at a weigh scale to give you a good base then subtract this fom the GCW for max load on the truck and then from GCVW for the weight of a trailer and contents. Remember that the gross weights are total safe and sane fully loaded, fueled up, with passangers and driver. Exceeding these could mean real trouble and if you're unlucky and are in an accident could be devistating.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:42 AM
Leader
Elder User
Originally Posted by Eric C.
Owners manual and the safety sticker on the drivers side door will give you the manufacturers weights (Gross Vehicle and Gross Combined Vehicle). I suggest tyou verify your empty at a weigh scale to give you a good base then subtract this fom the GCW for max load on the truck and then from GCVW for the weight of a trailer and contents. Remember that the gross weights are total safe and sane fully loaded, fueled up, with passangers and driver. Exceeding these could mean real trouble and if you're unlucky and are in an accident could be devistating.
Also remember that running around with NO weight in the truck could cause you to have an accident and get you sued.
Many more people have been sued & gone to jail for accidents with empty vehicles then ever even had accident with loaded trucks.
In fact... NO ONE has EVER been sued for being over the GVW set by Ford or any other manufacturer.
Be VERY carefull whenever you get behind the wheel.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:18 AM
Eric C.
Elder User
The problem with exceeding the GVW is that you void all the warranties and if you are involved in an accident, and the police investigation shows you are over the weight capacities you will be held legally responsible and I've seen it done.
I've never seen any one sued for not being loaded, only for their carelessness and causing an accident regardless of the load capacities.

Old 11-29-2006, 12:19 PM
Leader
Elder User
GREAT !!!!!!!!!! Tell me where??? And When. Who was involved????
NO ONE has EVER been able to find a case where someone was sued or the ins. didn't pay for being over the GVW posted by ANY manufacturer for one of their pick ups.
I have also never seen a verified case where Ford voided the warranty for being over the GVW.
I do know that in WA a properly registered pick up can legally gross more then the GVW suggested by Ford & posted on the sticker in the door.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:02 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
> what can I tow?

In my opinion, with a 1979, WITH trailer brakes, with P235 to 31" tires you should easily handle

from the bumper 3500 pounds
from a frame hitch 5000 pounds with 3.54-3.73 gears
from a frame hitch 7000 pounds with 4.10 gears

I would not go over a 7x16 foot trailer.

Probably the 7K trailer and 400 pounds in the bed would do it for safe towing.

imo, On this truck, if the rear is dipping with a 7K trailer, air bags would be okay to level the load if using a receiver frame hitch.

You most likely have a C-6 transmission, totally up to the job, I would just add a big transmission cooler with a fan if possible.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:28 PM
Nachoman
New User
Thanks you guys. This gives me an idea and a direction to go for more info.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:52 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Eric C.
The problem with exceeding the GVW is that you void all the warranties .
where does the warranty state this?

I doubt he has a one on the 79, but I may be wrong

Old 11-30-2006, 05:45 PM
93RangerXL4x2
Elder User
I got 4.10s in my 98 4.2L and towing 6000 pounds is easy