Sponsored by:

slowing down diesels when towing

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 01:26 PM
Chief-e9
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slowing down diesels when towing

I'm new to the diesel world having just buying my first diesel(07 F-350 Dually). I will be using it to pull my travel trailer ( approximately 6000 lbs loaded)as well as my classic car hauler (about the same weight). In the next two years I plan to upgrade to a heavier RV. I live in the mountains of Western NC. I've been reading quite a bit about folks adding exhaust braking accessories to assist slowing the truck down when traveling down grades. In stock form using the T/H mode what can I expect when I am towing down mountains, both interstate and winding two-lane roads? Will my truck brakes along with trailer brakes be sufficient? Does a diesel engine assist in braking if I have it in T/H mode and in third or second gear (like in a gas engine truck)? When towing I seldom go over 60 mph and pretty much faithfully follow speed limits on secondary roads. Hopes this makes sense and thanks in advance for info. Roy

Last edited by Chief-e9; 01-23-2011 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Vehicle clarification and question specific
Old 01-23-2011, 01:32 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
the 6.0 in tow haul does a way better job than my last 02 2500 hd gasser at keeping the load under control without braking

a lot of aftermarket tuners can add even better "jake brake " mimicking options

however you don't post your specifics ??

Old 01-23-2011, 07:19 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
T/h mode for my 08 works fairly well. For the kind of wt you are talking it will work just fine. As you start your decent, push on the brake will help the trans kick down a gear and hold it fairly well.

when you begin to tow much heavier than you have to maybe drop a gear as you crest the hill to assist.

the integration of the TBC and the brakes/trailer brakes is second to none. Very good system. You will be impressed.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:36 PM
sandmanf250
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
slowing down

let your t-h do the work.no problem.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:45 PM
nitrogen
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 65 Posts
classic car=high value,difficult to replace, makes me think you probably are not "racing" when you're pulling. drive at normal truck speeds for the grade and T/H is all you need. if you find yourself doing much more than 10 mph more than semi's it might be time to back it off a bit. i have run western Canada and about 35 states in class 8 semi's with no brake assist, if you just take your time the brakes don't overheat

Old 02-16-2011, 08:41 AM
sandicliffe
New User
Great infomation on towing

Thanks for the Great Thread, it helps me out a lot!!! because towing can become a pain in the butt!

Old 02-16-2011, 09:54 AM
ken1mod
Elder User
Gentlemen,

Use the 18 wheeler technique. First select a lower gear. Slow down. Pick a "safe Speed", say 55 mph.

When truck accelerates to 55, apply firm but not hard brake to get to 50 mph. Release until speed reaches 55 again. Do this until the bottom. Brakes get to cool between applications and speed is always under control. It really works well and brakes stay cool and operational. This works even without a Jake.

Of course, any kind of engine brake is a positive but this simple technique works well and will keep you out of trouble. Let it accelerate to 75 and all bets are off.

Ken