1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

d rear end swap for 53-56 trucks question

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2002, 04:24 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Right on, truckfarmer. Now THAT would be some seriously useful information! So there's the challenge, guys. Find out what length axleshafts are in a '57-'72 truck rearend and then scrounge through the salvage yard and try to dig up an equal length shaft out of a car with the 4 1/2" bolt circle. Then you could put together a 9" with the truck HOUSING and have a near bolt in installation with car AXLESHAFTS in it to give you the smaller bolt circle. Sweet. Even if there was such an axleshaft ever produced, I'm not sure what kind of trouble you'd run into with the brake backing plates and their related offsets and drums, although I'm sure you'd probably have to use the entire brake assembly off of whatever the axleshafts came out of. There may also be issues with the bearing size. It's worth a little research, though. Anybody got a '57-'72 truck rearend they'd be willing to pull the shafts out of and measure? If anybody actually goes to this much trouble, we probably ought to have the wheel bearing outer diameter, length from the spline end to the back of the retainer, and length from the spline end to the wheel face, and the spline count. I've got a really cooperative salvage yard nearby if somebody can get me this info. I don't have any other plans this weekend! LOL

Old 03-26-2002, 07:26 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

Blue Oval

If this fantasy axle did indeed exist, you could probably look in the cross reference of a Hollander Interchange manual for the info. There now, I just saved you a weekend of your time. The least you could do is drop on by and help me get my wiring harness strung. I'll have the coffee on.

The fact that a 15 year spread of F100 9 inchers will bolt right in is a gift from above. A shop that redrills axles is not that impossible to find or expensive.

Dewayne
53 F100

Old 03-28-2002, 05:50 PM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 03-28-2002, 08:10 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, I had been contemplating checking out the possibility of my "fantasy axle" existing anyway. I need to come up with a rearend for my '51 pretty soon. I used the Mustang 9" in my '54 and it was a pretty good fit, but I want to try the later truck housing this time around. My only reservation is that 5 on 5 bolt circle. There isn't a shop anywhere near here capable or willing to redrill the axles for 4 1/2". I HAD thought about looking in an interchange cross reference, but I'm pretty sure any listing would also have a 5 on 5 circle. I haven't seen a cross reference yet that lists specs. If there is one, somebody let me know! But incidently, I am an electrician by trade if ya really want some help with that harness, but I'm not sure you can afford my coffee habit!