1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

351c PS pulley not lining up

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002, 03:09 PM
Ugly
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 351c with a Dodge PS pump. The problem is that the pulleys are not lined up. It's not enough to throw a belt, but it does make noise. Are there any known brackets that can be adjusted or will work for this set up?

Old 04-11-2002, 08:47 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Ugly, I'm guessing that you're running a Dodge pump because you've got a Volare or Cordoba IFS. If I'm not mistaken, Dodge used a Saginaw pump. It looks like (is) a Ch##y pump. Some of the 70's - early 80's Ford trucks had a Saginaw pump, too. You won't find one in a boneyard with a 351C, but they built a whole bunch with 351M's and 400's. They've got the same accessory mountings as a 351C. So if I were you, I'd look for a Ford truck with a 351M or 400 and a Saginaw pump and grab all the accessory brackets. The other alternative would be to go back to a Ford pump and get a custom pressure hose made up. The Chrysler steering box (if that's what you have) doesn't care and will work just fine.

Old 04-12-2002, 02:03 AM
cabby daddy
Senior User

ugly....

Just a reconfirm on the above post.. i am doing the volare clip now, with a 400 (1977), and the motor came with the exact same pump as the volare.

Old 04-12-2002, 05:59 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

Blue Oval

I am getting ready to do as you suggested and have a custom PS hose made so I can run a pump from a 1965 Fairlane 289. Do you think it will be compatible with my Volare Box? I am having a problem finding a complete set of accessories and brackets for my 302 that aren't 80's smogger style ugly.

Dewayne

Old 04-12-2002, 02:12 PM
Ugly
Freshman User

Thanks for the help.
I do have a volare FS. I need to have new hoses made anyway and a new pump would look a lot better than the old one that's currently in there. Since the gearbox is so close to the manifold I'm also thinking about adding a radiator on the low-pressure side. Any thoughts on this?

Craig

Old 04-13-2002, 10:13 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Fatfenders: Getting your hose made is the hardest part. The early Ford pump will drive the Chrysler gear easily. Most all power steering pumps regardless of manufacturer run at roughly the same pressure assuming that they were originally operating a recirculating ball type steering gear. The units for rack and pinion run at a different pressure, though, so I avoid those. Worst case scenario: the steering is too "lite" for your taste and leaves you with zero road feel. Kinda makes it feel like the wheel isn't connected to anything. The solution here is to either remove the pressure relief spring which is usually right behind the pressure hose fitting in the reservior and chop a coil off of it to lower the pressure a bit OR put an adjustable flow valve in the pressure line. These are available from most hot rod parts suppliers. Makes tweaking in the amount of assist a snap! You can even cut it back for a long road trip and set it up again if you're going to be in city traffic a lot. Incidentally, if you're really worried about underhood appearance as it sounds like you are, the later style plastic reservior pump will bolt right on to the brackets for that great big tin can pump off of the 289. I personally think the newer pumps look a little better, they're smaller, and the hose connections are easier to get to.

Ugly: See notes above and yes, a PS cooler may not be a bad idea. Most Ford trucks had one originally anyway. Some were just a really long return line coiled around in front of the crossmember and other literally looked like a tiny radiator attached to the pump. I personally think that kind looked like crap and was always in the way. I think the easiest way to go would be to buy a small transmission cooler, mount it in front of the radiator, and run the return line from the gear to the cooler and then from the cooler to the reservior.

Sorry about the long post!

Old 04-13-2002, 11:26 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts