Need some input

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 09:10 PM
Andrew_D
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need some input

I own a 1999 Ford Explorer XLT with a 4.0 SOHC engine and between 110,000 and 120,000 miles on it. I've had it for 3-4 years and I've had minimal problems with it until one morning I went to start it and it wouldn't start. It will turn over, but it seems as though the engine isn't getting fuel to turn on. I replaced the fuel filter, but that didn't help. My next step I checked to see if the fuel reset button was popped, but it wasn't. I then checked the timing by using a light that hooks up to the engine and flashes. I don't know what it is called. It didn't flash at all. I checked to see if the light was working on another vehicle and the light does work. I have a Chilton self help book that says I have to take the whole engine out of my Explorer to look at the timing chain. After doing some research and finding this forum I notice that timing chains usually make rattling noises and the Explorer looses some power when the timing goes out or the chains go bad. I have heard some rattling noises, but I had just assumed it was my muffler coming loose. I've also had a little bit of power loss at take off and between 1st and 2nd gear. My Explorer likes to stay in 1st gear followed by a hard jerk into 2nd gear.

This brings me to a few questions:

First, Has anyone else had this type of problem with 99 Explorer's?

Second, Am I directing myself in the right direction? Could there be something simple wrong with it that I am overlooking?

Third, Is there any way to access the timing chain without taking the engine out of the vehicle?

Thanks in advance for any additional information.

Old 11-27-2006, 12:49 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi Andrew and Welcome to FTE! Please take a momnt to check out the Guidelines as they contain important info that you'll need when posting on the site:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/guidelines.html

Thanks for choosing the best source of information for your Ford truck!

I'm not as familiar with the SOHC engine, but I believe it's a non-interference motor which means that if a chain did break, it shouldn't cause any damage. That said, chain breakage is a very rare occurance in these engines while the chain rattle is pretty common.

If you're not getting any spark, I would look to the ignition module or the crankshaft or camshaft position sensors.

Old 11-27-2006, 11:25 AM
Andrew_D
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks TigerDan, I will check into it.

Old 12-01-2006, 07:44 PM
385seriesHemi
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shifting hard into 2nd there might be something restricting the flow of fluid or a seal might be bad and will not move until its got alot of pressure. Or the fluid is bad and will cause late shifts also. AT WHAT SPEED DOES THIS SHIFT INTO SECOND TAKE PLACE???