Aerostar Ford Aerostar

96 Aero 4.0 Driveability Sucks

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 09:29 PM
jrcrane
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 96 Aero 4.0 Driveability Sucks

96 Aerostar AT shudders and vibrates, mostly felt through steering wheel, after it warms up and goes into closed loop. It only does this when it has gone through all the gears into overdrive under load. But it doesn't when coasting or before it reaches temperature. Had codes before changed plug wires and hoses on purge canister of 0301,0302,0306(misfire)and 1443. Have cleaned MAF but still runs like crap as stated above. Could this be the sensor and actuator on the tranny causing this because it is not posting any more codes??? Please Help

Last edited by jrcrane; 11-22-2006 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Left out information
Old 11-22-2006, 10:19 PM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds like TC shudder....when was ATF in tranny changed last along with filter?
suggest start with full gentle ATF flush and change, at least 10 quarts out and in....

will not shift in TC lockup until closed loop op....

common problem with TC lockup units in modern auto trannys....lockup clutch increase fuel mileage 2>10%

did you clean KAM in PCM by disconnecting neg. batt. lead for 5 minutes after repairs/service?

Old 11-23-2006, 09:14 AM
jrcrane
New User
My suspicions appear to be along your reply. Going to change the filter and modulater this weekend. I don't know when it was done last because the previous owner could'nt remember. Yes I disconnected both the battery leads for over an hour while I did the wires and plugs............Any other suggestions you may have would put you on my Christmas List Thanks so much for your reply...........

Old 11-23-2006, 09:17 AM
jrcrane
New User
Another question for 96_4wdr: Is there a sensor other than the modulator that can go bad on these tranny's that I need to consider??????????????

Old 11-23-2006, 09:46 AM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
the auto tranny in '96 '97 Aeros is the electronically controlled 4R or 5R series version of the A4LD.
no modulator in your '96...shift point decisions made totally by PCM based upon engine operating parameters

would no worry abt. any sensors in tranny for now...pull pan and change filter....condition of old ATF and any particles in pan bottom will tell you much abt. tranny health
no other maint. service sched. parts in tranny that have to be replaced per mileage or time....
how does your engine run under load on hills if OD turned off? any shudder or roughness?

brand of plugs and wires? double platinums or iridium fine wire?

Old 11-23-2006, 11:33 AM
jrcrane
New User
Driveability

It is hardly noticeable with OD off. I used the Motorcraft wires and plugs from the dealer because I wanted to be sure I didn't get a "Seconds" quality from other parts houses. Right off the top of my head I beleive the plugs are just the single platinum and not the doubles. I will check for sure later. Is there a big difference in the quality between the singles and the doubles? I know that one side of the cylinders fires differently than the others. BY THE WAY, another question should I change out the O2 sensor/s and is there more than one?

Old 11-23-2006, 12:39 PM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
single plats will only last 10>20k miles in Aero 4L before ground tip burns off on one bank....no platinum to protect it....don't remember which bank
no quality diff. between single and double plats...only construction diff....

the new top line plugs are now iridium center fine wire and plat. on side electrode

change O2 sensors if there is a code or if they are more than 50k old....one before and one after cat converter on '97 4L

never run into seconds on Motorcraft parts....see them on ePuke at times from dealer closings

Last edited by 96_4wdr; 11-23-2006 at 12:52 PM.