1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

missing title

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2002, 09:28 PM
nikkigirl
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
missing title

I bought a 1959 without a title today, I heard about purchasing a title bond from an insurance agency. then after two years if no one has claimed the vehicle the state will issue a title. Anyone heard of such a practice? Anyone know if it is applicable in Indiana?

Thank you, Nikki

Old 09-19-2002, 11:39 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
missing title

Hi Nikki!

It's nice to see another Hoosier sneaking around in here. As a matter of fact, we're not far apart. I'm in the Lafayette area. Anyway, to answer your question, I checked on this scenario recently at the BMV and was told that the procedure goes roughly like this: Start by having a police officer do an inspection/VIN tag verification and then take that with your bill of sale (I REALLY hope you got one!) to the license branch. They'll do a title search. If it turns up nothing, then you will need to send a letter to the BMV of each adjoining state and ask them to do a title search as well and send you a written reply. When you get them all back, take them in to the license branch again and they'll issue you a new title. I my be a little off on some of the details, but from what I remember this was pretty close. It is possible to get a title, but I'd make the local license branch my first stop. Good luck!

Old 09-20-2002, 07:12 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
missing title

Isn't it amazing how different states are with titling and registration? In New Hampshire, you don't even need a title unless the vehicle is less than 10 years old! Before I moved here I went through the title hassle many times with the Florida DMV and I understand California is about the worst. Getting an old truck on the road is definitely easier in some states than others.

Old 09-21-2002, 03:40 AM
55FordLover
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
missing title

hey guys,

this is how you do it....got to www.broadwaytitle.com they have a site there which licenses the truck from the state of Alabama...give them about 3wks and a bill of sale will come to your house...after that you can get a title....the whole process for $$$ cost about 80 but if u need it bad like i did...about $140...got my title within 10 days...make sure you have a VIN cause they will check it out for you....TOOO EASY!!!

James
54 Ford F100 (302/AOD)
01 Ford Supercrew Titon 5.4L
01 Ford Explorer V6

Old 09-22-2002, 10:09 AM
nikkigirl
Freshman User
missing title

Thank you for the information, I appreciate your time and effort.

Nikki

Old 09-22-2002, 10:11 AM
nikkigirl
Freshman User
missing title