1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Paint ideas for F-1

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 08:56 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Paint ideas for F-1

Old 09-29-2002, 11:25 AM
T Bone 50 51
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint ideas for F-1

Hello, My F-1 is coming closer to to being roadworthy again. The truck was repainted about 20 years ago and looks great from 50 feet away. Up close its a different story. The paint is cracked and flaking off in places exposing primer and bare metal . Rust has started to come through at several places. I can't afford to have it repainted at the present time so I'm thinking about putting it in primer. I'm planning on going down to bare metal at the rusty areas and smoothing out the rest of the paint and shoot primer on top of that. This will be temporary until it's time to restore the body. Does anyone have ideas on what type of primer I should use or what steps I should take? I think it will be cool to cruise around in the old hauler with the 50s ratrod look. Red steel wheels,primer,throaty Ford V-8,whitewalls maybe even flames. What do y'all think? I want to thank all of you for the informaion thats been shared on this board. Ive been helped by just reading old posts and I hope the small amount of advice I've given has been of some help. Thank You All. Travis

Old 09-29-2002, 06:56 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Paint ideas for F-1

My first choice is epoxy primer 'cause its tough as nails. You could get by with something less since you plan to replace it before long.

I like your description of your future ride. I painted mine but love the hotrod primer look - either black or grey.

I was rear-ended back in July and I'm now arguing with myself whether to touch up the present paint or just re-shoot the whole thing again in primer............but that's a next summer project since there's snow in the mountains already

Old 10-03-2002, 11:29 PM
gvanrob
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint ideas for F-1

I am just doing the body work on my 59. I first sand blasted the whole thing,now Im doing the body work. next Ill prime, oh ya I forgot,after sand blasting I put on a rubberized coating that seales the metal and stops rust.So anyhow try going to a paint store and ask what they have in there mistints.I can prime my whole truck for about$20 canadion,paint is the same mayby a little more.