--Electric Supercharger??--

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 02:57 PM
xSuperCrewx
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
--Electric Supercharger??--

This might be a dumb question, but i was wondering if these "electric superchargers" that you find on ebay will actually do anything? Or are they a complete joke? I wouldnt expect huge gains from them or anything, but how come i never hear of people sticking these on the end of their cold air intakes?

Old 10-30-2006, 03:44 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
because they work just as well as fuel line magnets and the turbonators.

the only thing they are good for is taking money out of your wallet, and stuffing it into the sellers wallet.

Old 10-31-2006, 09:12 AM
Tiremine
Senior User
Charlatans ! Snake Oil Peddlers ! Blasphemers !
I can't believe they even let people sell that crap.

tjc, you know where I can get some of those fuel line magics? lol

Old 10-31-2006, 12:30 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
They sell those things because the profit margin is high, and uninformed dipsticks buy them.

If I didn't have at least *some* morals I'd be a zillionare by now selling such trinkets.

Though last week, I welded together a pair of fart pipes for some neighborhood kid and hit him for $200. One of them is functional, the other sits on the driver's side as a "poser" fart pipe.

A fool and his money are easily parted.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:07 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Might as well take their money if they are willing to part with it. Doesn't suit you, it seems to have suited him. I see no problem.

The electric superchargers though, that's just plain wrong. Perhaps I should try one on my mower? I might make a psi or two in an 850cc engine.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:31 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Oh, don't get me started on the forced induction mower concept.

I have this 12HP riding mower.... and this really huge smog pump...

Old 11-02-2006, 06:58 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Geeze frederic, I've seen stranger things. I wonder how many folks would pay some money to have a kit made for their Craftsman?

Old 11-02-2006, 09:01 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
I have no idea... but if my idea works... I may have to put together a generic kit

Initial testing worked well, using a smog pump off my Olds and a long hose to the riding mower

Old 11-03-2006, 03:19 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
Originally Posted by frederic
I have no idea... but if my idea works... I may have to put together a generic kit

Initial testing worked well, using a smog pump off my Olds and a long hose to the riding mower
really fred, you need to get a real job.
you have wwwwaaayyyy to much time on your hands.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:48 PM
Tony G
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ya know there is no reason that an electric supercharger wouldn't work. But the direct drive super doesn't lose power by transfering over to electric and then electric back to propeller. It drives the propeller directly off the crankshaft.

I'm wondering how big of a electric motor and how many amps it would draw in order to create something like 6 psi in a v10. How big of an alternator would be required and how many Horsepower would it take off the engine. Of course their would be some way of reducing the electric motors speed to account for engine RPM's and this would be as instantaneous as direct belt drive.

Tony

Old 11-03-2006, 09:34 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Ya know there is no reason that an electric supercharger wouldn't work

They work - just no where near as well as a normal supercharger...
For 1. you would have HUGE current draw, a supercharger will draw propably about 1/4 (just a rough estimation) of the net power it creates straight from the crankshaft...
You are converting rotary power - electricity, back to rotary power. Much more efficient if you get it in its original form.

The long and the short of it. No thanks

Old 11-05-2006, 02:11 PM
Tony G
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, hmmmm well, I think... belt/direct drive would be most efficient. But I havn't seen anyactual studis on it. I don't think It needs studied really. But there are some alternators and electric motors boasting 85-90 % efficiencies.
But obviously, direct drive is close to 100% efficient with allowances for any belt slippage or belt/cog tension.

These electric supers that are sold on EBay would probably only work on 1.6-2.0 liter engines. And I dont' know if they can obtain the rpms needed to get to create enough boost to make any real difference.

But, I'm wondering how much energy (and how many alternators and batteries) would be needed to make it work.
Tony

Last edited by Tony G; 11-05-2006 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:41 AM
fixnair
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have heard that on a top fuel dragster the parasitic losses in one of their blowers is in the neighborhood of 750 HP. On a street car I'm sure it would be a lot less, more along the lines of 60 HP.
Also just a note here, in order to be called a supercharger a blower has to raise the manifold pressure to above 7 PSIG.

Old 11-06-2006, 06:38 AM
frederic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fixnair
I have heard that on a top fuel dragster the parasitic losses in one of their blowers is in the neighborhood of 750 HP. On a street car I'm sure it would be a lot less, more along the lines of 60 HP.
750hp is about right. But remember, the engine is producing 8000+ HP with 500cid. So 750HP "spent" is well worth it.

Same for consumer grade stuff... spend 60HP, get 200HP (or so).

Old 11-06-2006, 03:18 PM
kspilkinton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by fixnair
Also just a note here, in order to be called a supercharger a blower has to raise the manifold pressure to above 7 PSIG.
So what is a pump called if it doesn't meet that 7psig threshold??? Many of the aftermarket kits designed for stock internals for Ford mod motors are limited to 6psig or less. The H-D supercharger setup on F150s in '02-'03 was a 6psig setup, based on the Lightnings kit with a smaller pulley set. Was Ford wrong in calling it a supercharger? Or is this a rule from dragracing? My impression is that if it uses the power off the crank and gives a positive pressure gain, it's a supercharger.

These electric motors are nothing more than expensive fans.

-Kerry

Quick Reply: --Electric Supercharger??--