1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

How do I eliminate the vent windows?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 07:13 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It seems that I have seen some 48-52 trucks where the vent window was eliminated and replaced with a one piece glass. Has anyone done this? In view of the expense involved in vent window parts and glass, I'm thinking about trying to do this with my truck. I have to replace every piece of glass in my truck anyway as someone used it for target practice. Any comments welcome.

Old 11-12-2002, 04:00 PM
41Clay
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have connsidered this for mine too. Seems like all I would have to do is weld or bolt in a track at the front for the glass to slide on, and slap in some window channel all the way around, maybe even get a longer piece of that rattle thing for the window seal, then just put in a bigger piece of glass. JC Whitney should carry all the window channeling you need. then again, I haven't done it yet.

Old 11-12-2002, 04:14 PM
Uncle JT
Junior User

Oh man, I love the vent windows.

- JT

Old 11-12-2002, 06:51 PM
wingman
New User

I have a 57 f-100 and removed the vent windows and switched over to single glass as you are talking about.
The process was pretty easy. All I did was remove all the old channel and the wing window, put the new channel in place, slide in the glass, put the old regulators back in (after I clean them up and painted them) glued the glass to the regulator, and that was it. It took me about 1 hour per door to do the install, and everyone that sees it likes it. I bought the kit fromm John's F fun hundreds. You can get the glass in clear or 2 shades of tint. I think it cost me about $300. for the kit, the instructions it comes with are pretty good. I priced just putting in new channels and using my old glass(which you don't have due to target practice) and leaving my wing windows intact. The channels where going to cost as much as the kit to switch it over.

good luck

Old 11-12-2002, 06:55 PM
wingman
New User

I'll try to get a picture posted so you can see the results.

Wingman

Old 11-12-2002, 08:45 PM
jwcnj45
Senior User

I eliminated the vent windows in my 48. I made up a simple new front runner and changed the felt channel and belt moulding. About $60 in materials not counting the cost of glass. It's a relatively simple project.

Old 11-12-2002, 10:49 PM
DS02F250
Posting Guru

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 12-Nov-02 AT 11:50 PM (EST)]Along with John's F-Fun Hundreds (714)563-F100, I believe that Sacramento Vintage Ford (888)FORD-100 also carries the switch-over kit and the same selection of replacement glass. I replaced the windows in my 59 F-100 and their kit was a nice fit. I kept the vents though (personal preference), but added power windows to the big glass.

Looks good either way, so have at it... and enjoy!!!
Daryl

Old 11-13-2002, 06:43 AM
BELLM
Senior User

I have seen several 48 -52s with vent glass eliminated, drivers side glass cracked. Are they more prone to break? Anyone have problems like this?

Old 11-13-2002, 06:44 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver

Thanks for all the info guys. I'd love to keep the vent windows, but not at the expense I would have to go through to replace all the vent stuff.

Old 11-13-2002, 10:06 AM
Gwilkrrs
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

excellent question vern.
i need to replace all the glass in my 51 and have been doing the math for stock replacement and the one piece glass. i believe that the kit for 300 is cheaper then replacing the wing window and components, im just wondering about the likelyhood of glass breaking easier and if the kit iseasy too install. 1 post said they made thier opwn kit, how was this donme?

Old 11-13-2002, 11:34 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 13-Nov-02 AT 12:36 PM (EST)]Well, Jim Coyle's post said he made up a simple new "front runner" and just changed the felt channel and "belt moulding". If we can find out more about that process and exactly what that means, then it might not require a kit. I haven't taken the broken glass out of mine yet and I'm not familiar with the parts. Also, I'm wondering how you would have the glass cut for something like that since there's no pattern to go by. I doubt if making it one piece would make it any easier to break as long as the channel and felt was done right. Perhaps with a bit of coaxing, we can get Jim to explain the process a little better so us do-it-your-selfers can understand.

Old 11-13-2002, 03:35 PM
Gwilkrrs
Fleet Mechanic

hopefully jim will tell all. the glass can be purchased seperately through the shops that sell the kits, not sure what the price would be though. ive taken out the glass a couple times, the parts arnt that complicated, mine are all patched together to work and all neen to be replaced, glass and all hardware(truck sat in barn for 10 years) but am interested to findmore about jim.

Old 11-13-2002, 04:26 PM
f1fordguy
Senior User

I looked very closely at using one piece glass but decided against it to stay with more of a stock look. I think it would be possible to make your own template for the glass but would advise against it. Too many trips to the glass company for fine tuning in my book. After doing the research and looking at all the kits, I think any of them would work fine. I really didn't see anything that seperated them greatly. I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on a specific kit though. I may do it later.

I just replaced EVERYTHING associated with both side and vent windows. Also added power windows. Piece of cake. The toughest part of the stock window overhaul was the fuzzy horizontal antirattlers. The kit I used could certainly be improved upon. Used crimp on connecter snaps.

I think the most important aspect of this job is the fit of the replacement parts. My vent window rubbers could fit better but they certainly look better than what I replaced and they apperato be air and water tight.

The power windows are great. Work like a top. I used plain old laminated flat glass since it was very reasonable. I have a friend who owns a window tinting company and he will take care of that part of the job for me.

I am finally air noise, water leak and rattle free!!!

Tim

Old 11-13-2002, 05:35 PM
Gwilkrrs
Fleet Mechanic

tim, how much too go the stock route and replace all, sounds like i need a total overhaul like you did.

Old 11-13-2002, 08:57 PM
jwcnj45
Senior User

I made the runner from some 3/4" channel and welded a bracket to it. The bracket serves two purposes, it allows you to attach the runner at the proper angle inside the door and it also spaces the runner the correct distance so that the front and rear runners are parallel to each other. The only differance between the left and right side runner is the positioning of the bracket. I have a diagram of it but don't know how to post it with this reply. I'll send it to you if you need it though. The felt channel can be purchased at a glass shop. The felt channel can be screwed into place and or glued in place. I made a card board pattern for the glass, then transfered it to a piece of Masonite board for the actual glass pattern. A decent glass shop should be able to accurately cut the glass for you.

Quick Reply: How do I eliminate the vent windows?