1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel - Any experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 06:50 PM
fridgeddiesel
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel - Any experiences?

Well, my bulk distributer just switched my fuel to the new Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel. Anyone had any experiences with it and the effects on the 7.3L Powerstroke? They claim that they are putting additives in the mix to compensate for the 15 ppm. max sulfur content. I also always add Power Services-Diesel Kleen additive with each fill up. Hope this will be enough to compensate for the lower sulfur content. This kind of reminds me of when the took the lead out of my regular gas...

My died off road diesel is still the same old stuff, but the revenuers like to dip the road vehicles tanks to make sure your not burning it since the price of fuel has gotten so high.

Anyone with any experiences want to comment on the new fuel? I have heard that it does lower you mpg.

Old 10-22-2006, 09:05 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ran a tank of it when I was in St. Louis this summer. Personally, I think my milage went down a little and it may have lacked in power a little. I have heard that the new UL may cause fuel leaks. Hopefully my vender does not change over yet. Although I'm still content with my off road mainly because its B11 and the higher sulfur content.

Old 10-23-2006, 05:16 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ULSD has been in the pipelines since June this year, manly in california. Many are using it right now and don't know it. The label on the pump can't be changed from LSD to ULSD until the inground tanks are cleaned and re-certified.

They are a lot of good articles on the use of ULSD in older diesel engines. The only thing I've read on this site is the Fuel bowl drain lever o-rings that are failing. Lubricity seems to be the biiggest concern but additives are supposedly being added to help. Only time will tell.

http://www.clean-diesel.org/

http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/diesel/ulsd.shtml#A13

Last edited by Cuda_jim; 10-23-2006 at 05:19 PM.