1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Steering column recommendations and gallery update.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 05:53 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

If you're bored, please take a look at my gallery. I still can't update my website but I have a couple new PICs of my engine and dash progress in the gallery. I am at a loss for what steering wheel to run on the new Flaming River Column. Fire away if you have a suggestion that will go with my dash insert. The column is 69 and newer GM standard of course so I am probably going to be forced to go aftermarket. I have a Grant wheel to get me by until I decide. I am polishing dash ***** and using stock bezels. I may put the dash insert to the mirror buff treatment too. Depends on what wheel I go with.

BTW the Flaming River column is only 30 inch. It looks cleaner in the engine compartment to me than the 32 to 33 standard recommendation for a column shift. I was told the FR column was more compact in the shift bowl area. In any case everything clears nicely and I am completely pleased with a purchase for a change. Billet doesn't photograph well but the shifter handle etc absolutely look like chrome.

'fenders

Old 11-24-2002, 06:42 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's a verrah naahhhce - Frenchman with outrageous accent in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Old 11-24-2002, 07:35 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Oh, good GRIEF!!! Are you STILL using that worn out "Ain't got no steering wheel" excuse? You need some new material!

Old 11-24-2002, 07:48 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend

'rage

I tried the hillbilly vice grip trick like you suggested, but I just don't know. There was just something wrong. Maybe if I buffed them.

'fenders

Old 11-25-2002, 08:43 AM
Uncle JT
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome 'fenders - I've been looking at the Flaming River columns myself.. looks like I'm hooked on them now.

Where did you buy your billet dash insert from? It seems everyone and there brother is selling these, it's nice to see one in a dash.
I'm probably going to use something more classic looking for gauges though.. something along the lines of VDO Heritage Gold.

http://www.continentalimports.com/images/437_852.jpg

- JT

Old 11-25-2002, 08:46 AM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey JT, how come that speedo only goes up to 120 MPH? You realize that you can damage them if you wrap that needle around!

Old 11-25-2002, 08:54 AM
Uncle JT
Junior User

George:

I don't think my 223 straight-six will ever go that fast. I'm building a cruiser.. not a hot rod like 'fenders over there. :P

- JT

Old 11-25-2002, 09:59 AM
truckfarmer
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Steering column recommendations and gallery update.

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 25-Nov-02 AT 11:00 AM (EST)]JT, I have followed your new engine down the road at 85mph for hours. It will run all day long with that T-5. I had to put overdrive in my 56 if I wanted to keep up with that little 6 cylinder.
Look at this site, www.jbmicronish.com , to see a dash insert that holds all 6 guages. Gotta have the tach to appreciate that overdrive!

Old 11-25-2002, 10:57 AM
Uncle JT
Junior User

Awesome Greg, I can't wait to pick up the engine on Wednesday.

Unfortunately, that URL you provided doesn't work.

- JT

Old 11-25-2002, 05:31 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend

"Hey JT, how come that speedo only goes up to 120 MPH? You realize that you can damage them if you wrap that needle around!

George"

Yes George, JT and I are just going to run the 120mph sissy guages. Nice choice JT, those VDO heritage series are sweeties. You will like VDO guages. I like the way the speedo runs the scale during the self test it runs when you first turn the key on. Reminds me of military aircraft electronics. OK, so I'm easily amused.

My billet guage panel came with the truck. I think they are all about the same. I am a buffing wheel fanatic so that brushed look with probably not be for long. If it's aluminum or stainless, I feel the need to make it look like chrome. It's that easily amused thing again.

'fenders

Old 11-25-2002, 07:44 PM
41Clay
Elder User

Isn't there a billet wheel with a skull as the center? Don't you think that would look good with your dash? Whatever you do, don't get a chromed chain wheel or we will all have to hurt you. Real nice looking dash though. Say, about the column, is the turn signal on that pretty stiff? I rode in a car with a new column and I felt like I was going to break the thing off it was so stiff. But hey, and the engine looks great! A little small, but really nice, shiny, and detailed well.

Clayton

P.S. Does it really tear the speedos up when you wrap the things around? Does it take a while to break or something? You got me scared now.

Old 11-25-2002, 08:13 PM
truckfarmer
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Steering column recommendations and gallery update.

oops....try www.jbmicrofinish.com

http://www.jbmicrofinish.com/

Old 11-25-2002, 08:29 PM
Uncle JT
Junior User

Ahh, very cool Greg. I've been looking for a 6-hole for quite some time. Thanks.

http://www.jbmicrofinish.com/sixhole2.JPG

- JT

Old 11-25-2002, 08:37 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend

My billet guage panel came with the truck. I think they are all about the same.

Ok, let me rephrase that JT. Many companies make one very similar to mine. It is nothing really special. There are lots of other styles to choose from.

'fenders

Old 11-25-2002, 08:43 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend

<Isn't there a billet wheel with a skull as the center? Don't you <think that would look good with your dash? Whatever you do, don't <get a chromed chain wheel or we will all have to hurt you. Real nice <looking dash though. Say, about the column, is the turn signal on <that pretty stiff? I rode in a car with a new column and I felt like <I was going to break the thing off it was so stiff. But hey, and the <engine looks great! A little small, but really nice, shiny, and <detailed well.
Clayton

Thanks Clayton, OK, I'll cross off the chromed chain steering wheel off my potential steering wheel list.

Sorry about the size of my engine. That's about as big a 302 as I could find and I did shop around.

'fenders