1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Hubs

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 06:18 PM
PowerLines
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hubs

What's everyone's take on replacing manual hubs with the automatic? I've always heard people with autos install manuals when they buy a new truck.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:40 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
auto hubs have a tendency to lock and unlock constantly (while being used) and this cause extreme measures of stress on the shafts and joints in the axle. this is where quite a few people break stuff, the loading and unloading of the drivetrain. also after several thousand miles on them the internals break down pretty quick and become sketchy at best... sometimes locking in when you need them and sometimes not. and then there are the times when they lock in going down the road and that creats drag and more wear and tear on the front end.

-cutts-

Last edited by fishmanndotcom; 10-19-2006 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:14 AM
F350_Hauler
Elder User
Originally Posted by PowerLines
What's everyone's take on replacing manual hubs with the automatic? I've always heard people with autos install manuals when they buy a new truck.
If that's what you want to do I have a set of very good auto's. They are on my truck right now and they work great! I just prefer having mechanical and have been looking for an excuse to change them. PM me if you're interested. Eric

Last edited by cookie88; 10-20-2006 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:21 PM
Power Strokeme
Junior User
I replaced the auto hubs on my "97" last year. just like Fishman said, all that stuff happens. I never broke anything but I know some who did. The last straw for my hubs was when they locked in on the Interstate, it's not always handy to take an exit so you can back up 30' to get them to unlock & having a trailer hooked on just made it worse.
I still have my auto hubs in the box my Warn hubs came in if you are interrested.

Old 10-20-2006, 03:10 PM
fireman0175
New User
My own experience on my '96 F250 was during the first year, they failed and only one was locked in. Ford replaced them. I should have had them put manuals on at that time. Now, I constantly am fighting them to get one or both out locked. I can always tell if one is locked by the howl at higher speeds. They are so inconsistant.

Friend of mine replaced his with manuals and is very happy. The automatics make no sense to me at all. If I get stuck somewhere, how does Ford expect me to "roll forward 4' to lock them in"? I can't wait until I have the time to replace mine.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:37 PM
PowerLines
Senior User
Well those are enough reasons for me. I guess I'd rather pull over and lock them in when I hit snow than have'm lock up on me. Thanks guys!