1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

felt between fender and box

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 12:32 AM
rj haug
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am looking for any ideas on what i can use to go between the rear fenders and the box. I'd rather not use felt strips because they will show. can i use gasket maker or any other kind of siicone?
please let me know what you have used or seen others have used.

Old 12-15-2002, 06:23 AM
DS02F250
Posting Guru

A couple of ideas (I've used both in different places on my truck):

1. the silicone is good as a "seam-sealer" and of course is good to prevent water from getting in between and creating rust. How effective it will be as a "buffer" between the rear fender and the bed (box) of the truck is questionable, I'd think;

2. as a "buffer" between my fuel cell and the bracket that holds it in place behind the rear end melon, I used solid rubber cut into strips (sized) along the rails between the fuel cell and the bracket that holds it in place. The rubber can be 1/8" thick; 1/4" thick; 3/16" thick; or whatever thickness is: (1) afforded by the gap between the fender and the box; and (2) sufficient to serve the purpose it is intended for.

I got the solid rubber from a local textile manufacturer where they sell everything from rubber like I got to rubber and plastic tubing, rubber hosing for industrial equipment, etc. I don't know where you're located, but it's called "Delta Rubber". They're in Visalia, California. Their E-mail is: www.deltarubber.com. Their phone # is: (559) 651-0311 or (800) 607-0311. If they can't help you or it isn't feasibile to do business with them because of proximity; shipping; etc... maybe they know someone in your area or can recommend someone to you?

Anyway, good luck... hope this helps!

Daryl

Old 12-16-2002, 12:59 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I BELIEVE FENDER WELTING IS COMMON, I USED NOTHING SINCE MY FENDERS ARE STRAIGHT.

Old 12-16-2002, 03:30 PM
onewaymike
Junior User