1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Plans for my '52 F-8 - Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 05:46 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 01-12-2003, 01:00 AM
AmeriKen
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, fellas, I need to discipline myself and finish getting my CASE 310 crawler back together before I start on the truck. The truck, however, has been taking a lot of my time checking out stuff.

The original tires are 10.00x20" on wheels with "safety" rings (I wonder who ever named them that? I've not hear anything but horror stories about them). I want to replace the 20" wheels for 22.5" wheels to put on some low profile tires. The problem is that these wheels are 8 lug on a 10" bolt center. New trucks are 10 lugs on a 11.25" bolt center. I looks as though I'll have to re-drill the drums to accept the 10-bolt pattern, or put other centers in the 22.5" wheels. I spent a couple of lunch hours this week running around Dayton's wheel shops, and no one has ever seen 8 lugs on a 10" bolt center. Well, it won't be the first time I've cut out wheel centers.

The F-8 is currently a chassis cab. I've debated on whether to make it into a home-made "roll-back" for hauling my tractors, or put a bed on it and use it to pull my 24' gooseneck. I'm leaning toward putting a bed on it. (Also, I'm thinking of using it as a Saturday night cruiser when I'm not driving the '64 Galaxie).

A home-made "Flareside" type of bed looks like it would be easy to make. I have access to a 10' press brake and I have about 40,000 pounds of all forms of structural steel behind the barn for projects.

Add a pair of fenders and it would be complete. I expect to modify the fenders to cover the duallies.

The engine is a "done-deal". I have 2 Lincoln Mark donor cars that will have to give up a 460/C-6 for the truck. One of them is a 1969 high compression 460. (Wouldn't it have a sweet rumble with a cammed 460 and dual twin chrome stacks?)

I'm still debating the colors. I've always liked old fat fendered cars and trucks with contrasting colors on the body and fenders. I'm thinking of painting the fenders and running boards a metallic burgandy, and the body a metallic silver similar to the color scheme I've seen on the new F-150's.

Anybody have suggestions on the colors and pattern?

Also, I'm glad that MTflat (Tim Bartholomew) posted the jpg drawing of the 48-50 Ford pick up. I've edited it and colored it in MS Paint to look at the colors. I'll try posting it in my gallery.

Ken McWilliams
Dayton, OH

Old 01-12-2003, 07:45 AM
sampine336
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Ken there is really no cheap way to get out of the
wheel problem. Put 10 Radial 20s and have it done, or
mount the tire and put them on the truck backwards to
blow them up or chain them up through the bud holes.
Second with time and money change all four hubs to
Dayton spokes if you can find any. Mine have spokes so
I can buy 22.5s anywhere. Much cheaper to have tire
shop to do it. It doesnt take much air to kill yourself!

Second problem to face repowering it we found was the
steering box. Years ago I put a 430 Lincoln in my F8
and lucky the manifolds could be swapped L to right so
they dumped in the front I dont know if 460s can be
swapped cause the steering box is there. If your just
going to ride around in it you may condider something
narrow like a 302 with AOD. 302s got 3 times the power
than the 337 or you will definatly have to move that
steering box with an engineering nighmare of u joint
for the column Ive been there Ken.
The fastest way out in my opinion is to go FE 391
360s or any round back and use 391 manifold that