1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Legalaties of purchasing another trucks Vin plate

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 02:27 AM
Grabber
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Legalaties of purchasing another trucks Vin plate

Guys whats the legalaties of purchasing another Vin Plate from the same model truck and adding it to my truck which has no Vin# or plate , (the dash has been removed completely )

The truck has Arkansas plate SSE-499 but the plate is not current within the last 5 years so i havent been able to track the original Vin # down.
Also the Truck will be exported so it will not show on your systems there as far as DMV etc, but id like to at least have a Vin # for it on a title.

Old 10-10-2006, 02:33 AM
Nuthin
Elder User
I think you'll get a more usable answer to that from the OZ motor vehicle people than from us US folks, Grabber.

Just my 2 cents (unadjusted for inflation, at that.)

Old 10-10-2006, 03:02 AM
Grabber
Junior User
Really i dont need a Vin# that means anything here to get the truck registered ,thats not a problem, i would just like a Vin # to keep the paperwork nice and clean.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:53 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buying a VIN Plate from another vehicle is Illeagle.
Having said that it's doen all the time. In your case, it won't be needed once it gets to The Land Down Under.
I only move VINs that I'm sure are clean and haven't been used in decades.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:34 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's illegal only if you get caught!

As long as you are sure the the truck you get the VIN plate from has been crushed or will never be on the road again I fail to see anything wrong with it...although DMVs everywhere are going to disagree.

Old 10-10-2006, 07:03 AM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Have you checked the frame rails for the original VIN number?

Old 10-10-2006, 12:20 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by alchymist
Have you checked the frame rails for the original VIN number?
That maybe the best as it might found later causing alot of problems depending on how much it`s checked over during export.
The VIN should be near the front on top of the frame rails. Mine (56 M100) was on the driver`s side just behind the wheel but it can vary as it might be on the pass side as well from what I have read. It maybe hard to find with dirt and rust build up but if it`s cleaned up well it can be found unless some frame repair work was done.

Old 10-10-2006, 01:50 PM
M6EV139445
Junior User
When I bought my 1956 F100, there was no VIN plate on it. I was able to find the VIN stamped into the top of the frame rail on the passenger side, just rearward of the firewall. The DMV will use the frame-stamped VIN for dentification and titling purposes. Replica VIN plates are also available.

Old 10-11-2006, 10:09 AM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Fomoko1
That maybe the best as it might found later causing alot of problems depending on how much it`s checked over during export.
The VIN should be near the front on top of the frame rails. Mine (56 M100) was on the driver`s side just behind the wheel but it can vary as it might be on the pass side as well from what I have read. It maybe hard to find with dirt and rust build up but if it`s cleaned up well it can be found unless some frame repair work was done.
I agree using titles and plates from other trucks is done all the time. Fomoko I am of the opinion that unless the local DMV has reasonable doubt they are not going to check the frame stamped VIN number. To your point about it being hard to find it is easier harder with sheetmetal on top of it. . I am going to go out on a limb and say that 99% of the folks here are high character not wanting to beat the system honest tax paying folks except Brian B., MT54, JetJock, J.Niolon, Fatfenders, RandyJack, AXracer, and all the other guys I have joked with or formed friendships with over the years here . If it is your means to title a vehicle it is your means.

Old 10-11-2006, 10:47 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

I resemble that remark!!!

Old 10-11-2006, 11:19 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Me too!
When your new truck comes look in the glove box (or whatever you folks in the land of the 'roos call it that compartment in the dash). 53-55 had the vin # plate attached to the inside of the box door. Unless the inspector knows to match it with the one stamped on the frame (or someone has already removed the one inside the cab) you should be good to go.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:25 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by tacson
Fomoko I am of the opinion that unless the local DMV has reasonable doubt they are not going to check the frame stamped VIN number.
I agree but with my luck I`d sooner find the frame VIN.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:42 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Grabber

Lets back up. Has the truck been held up at export for the lack of a vin?
Could someone help you at customs from this end?
Do you like Chocolate Ice Cream?

Old 10-11-2006, 06:53 PM
53fatfndr
Cargo Master
If you're missing the data tag, and have the title and a stamped vin in the frame, just have a new data tag made. I had a new one made this past summer as mine was missing. I got mine from datatags.com.

http://www.datatags.com/

Old 10-11-2006, 08:14 PM
Bikewrench
Senior User
Originally Posted by Fomoko1
Mine is on the passenger side above the front axle. It's a 52 F1. You can always "buy" another truck and "Mix & Match" the parts to make one. Perfectly legal and who's to say what parts you use in the final product?
Bike

Quick Reply: Legalaties of purchasing another trucks Vin plate