1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

steering sway bars

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 06:44 PM
Flea
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steering sway bars

I have a huge problem with my steering. It is very loose.
I took it to a lube shop yesterday to have the diffs refilled.
They brought to my attention that maybe almost everything from the pittman drop arm needs to be replaced. The bushings are worn out and the steering wheel shakes while driving.
Has anyone had this probmlem before and how much approx. did it cost you to fix?

Thanks,
Flea

Old 10-08-2006, 08:27 PM
sneal
Too old for this

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just replaced it all. All4 tie rods, 2long, 2 short with slip jiont connectors; upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer wheel bearings with races, u joints in drive plines and lock out hubs. I did all the parts and pieces from Napa (get the good stuff with servicable ball joints and u joints) with my labor and the cost was just under a grand. There is a great step by step post on this site to do the ball joints, the rest is in the manual...put it all together and take it to your local mech for an alienment (123.00) for labor and 2 new wedges. My death wobble was like a circus ride, you have few enough miles it would be worth the investment to replace it all and keep it for the long haul.

Old 10-08-2006, 08:50 PM
Flea
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*****. I can't afford it right now though.

I need the truck for transportation.

Old 10-08-2006, 09:07 PM
sneal
Too old for this

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are your ball joints good? Jack up the truck grab the wheel by the top and bottom and push back and forth, there should be very little play. Alot of play...bad joints. Grab the sides of the tire and push back and forth ( left and right so to speak) once again very little play in the tie rod joint should be present, be sure to look at the tie rod joint to see the movement, not just feel it, it can move at the pittman arm and be decieving. That is all the options I know of.