Computer Chips & Tuners  

XCAL 2 Programmer

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 09:55 PM
paul43
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question XCAL 2 Programmer

I have a 1996 Ford Bronco which is stock (so far) I am looking more for gas milage rather than performance.

I have been talking with Troyer Performance and they are recommending a
XCAL 2 programmer.

Has anybody had any experience with the XCAL 2 and what is your opinion on it and Troyer's expertise setting it up?

Thank you in advance

Paul

Old 10-04-2006, 02:33 AM
Rancheroracer
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I bought one for my 150, big help. It came with 3 tunes for the different octanes. Troyer can fix you up.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Troyer Performance
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Paul,

You won't find better tuning, we have have specialized in this platform longer than anyone else, 15 years now.

We do not make any iron-clad guarantees of better fuel mileage, though most of our customers do get better MPG, that is merely a by-product of the performance tuning.

Now we *can* do, for example, an MPG-specific type of tune so that you have the most potential for mpg gains, but don't think you are suddenly going to get miraculous MPG gains - you have an almost 3-ton vehicle there, so you;re not going to get 3-4 more mpg - more like 1.5-3 more MPG is generally about what most people get on our MPG types of tunes.

If you do not care at all about performance, then tuning is not the way to go - the way to go is to go with things like our underdrive pulleys, electric fan kits, a good intake kit and free-flowing exhaust, etc - things that have the best potential for mpg gains.

However, if you want to get better performance AND see better MPG when you keep your foot out of the throttle, then our tuning IS the way to go.

I just want you to have realistic expectations about this - another issues is that you have a much older vehicle, and by now it may well need maintenance - make sure that you have fresh upstream O2 sensors, a fresh fuel filter, new spark plugs, spark plug wires & coil, PCV valve, make sure the entire EGR tract is thoroughly cleaned, etc. Most vehicles of that vintage need to have a good deal of maintenance done to them, as the factory's maintenance schedule doesn't even come close to what is needed to really keep them running their best - this is just some general FYI so you'll know, you may well already be on top of these things, of course, I don't know.

I hope this brief info helps, and I hope you decide to take advantage of our current Group Buy on our custom tuning, as that will get you an excellent bang for the buck.

God luck!