Sponsored by:

Help with heated seats

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 09:55 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by b-uno
you bought a 00 ex? sweeeettt! got a write up on it yet? what eng?
He's been writing up on it. He got it so he could stay in FTE...ha ha

Old 10-03-2010, 10:02 PM
aikimo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat Heaters not working!!

Dear All,

Hello.. I tried the fix stated in this thread, and after pulling off the passenger side cover, the elements look fine. The controller on the seat was not a bosh one, but a motorolla unit.. It did have 10 pins, but the connector was not labeled.. When comparing the pic of the connector (from this thread) with the one in my truck, the colors don't match, so I am not sure how to check it.. If anyone can provide some input, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Mo
02 F250 w/heated seats that do not heat!

Old 10-10-2010, 08:05 PM
theory6
New User
Drivers seat heater

I have had the same problem with my 2002 F150. I checked all the wires and they all had voltage so I peeled back the seat cover and found a bunch of black marks where the wires didnt burn through, but burn the cotton that they are contained in. The wires were still together and the plastic wasnt burn, just the fuzzy part of the cotton. So I thought that was my problem but it wasnt. I peeled back the seat back leather and found that at the bottom there were two wires that came from a wire loom that connected to the seat back ( to heat your lower back ). I found that they had become disconnected and slightly burned the foam/cotton. I dont have a soldering iron so I used black tape and twisted the wires together, then I used more tape to tape it down to the foam which worked pretty well. After that it worked.. I let it heat up for about 5 minutes or so to test and it heated up pretty quick and got pretty hot, but hopefully wont burn through... just thought I'd post my story, it seems this is the most common problem among seat heaters that dont work.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:26 AM
LRSTony
Junior User
neither seat in my 2005 excursion heat up, the lights come on when i push the button but no heat. from what i could tell there is only one fuse and i checked that and it was good, plus if the fuse was blown i assume the light on the heat button would not come on when pushed. so i peeled the seat cover back, removed alot of hog rings which was more of a pain then i would've liked and the heating element looked fine. so now i'm at a loss. can anyone give me an idea what i can check next? winter is coming and i really would like my heated seats to work.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:01 PM
theory6
New User
I would not only look at the heating element, but look at the wires that connect to it.. that is where mine burnt up. you have to peel back the seat and seat back, each should have a set of wires. while you do that again, make sure you have a test light or voltmeter, so you can turn the truck on and heated seats to see if you're even getting power to it.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:17 PM
Javo
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile No Heat In The Seat

Hey guys, great thread with TONS of info. I have an 04 F350 with the same problem. Passenger side works (wife complains about how hot the seat gets) but the driver's side doesn't heat up although the light does come on.

I'm gonna pull my seat cover this weekend and see what I can find. I'll let you know what I found and the fix.

Thanks again for all the info - I know what to do!

Old 10-29-2010, 07:14 AM
perryg114
More Turbo
Old 11-12-2010, 01:32 AM
badassf250
New User
well i tried this fix on mine today! my light indicating that the heated seat was on was not working either. the heating element has a small resistor in it that wire was broken off. i had to pull the bottom heating completley off the seat and hold it up the the light there is a small square towards the back, just below where the four wire run to. from the bottom side peal the fabric back and it will reveal a gray wire that needed to be solidered back on and it works the two black w/ red tracer should show a small amount of resistance on the ohm meter

Old 11-18-2010, 12:34 PM
saz2686
Senior User
sweet

well after reading all the pages i decided it was time to take action. it is great this thread dates back to 2006 and still helping people. i had the same deal as most, the light comes on but no heat. turns out the wire under the seat cover was the problem. i was able to fix both seats without taking them out of the truck. as described i just pushed down on the seat front and took the white bar off from under. i peeled back the seat cover just enough to operate- so i did not remove the butt pad or loosen the lock rings. i carefully cut the pading following the wire towards the back of the seat until i saw the factory solder joint under a piece of tape. gently pull the cooked piece of wire towards the steering wheel and the blue wire will follow. i put a new little peice of wire on both side of the seat and works great. thank you to the pioneer who decided to help tons of people . good luck to all who attempt. p.s you must be able to work in very limited space if you dont remove those seat pad lock rings.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Javo
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I finally got time to take this project on. I managed to remove most of the bottom seat cover and was disappointed that I did not find any easy to locate burned wires to replace. There are no burn marks in the heating element. My seat heats up for about 1-2 minutes and then quits although the light stays on.

My heat switch does not have the same type wiring mentioned previously. My switch only has three wires, there is no light blue with pink tracer to test for continuity. Does anyone by some chance have a wiring diagram that I could get?

Any input and advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Javo; 03-01-2011 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-03-2010, 10:31 PM
LRSTony
Junior User
i removed my drivers seat and took it in the house to work on it, this is MUCH easier. i removed the upper and lower heat pads and i only found one tiny black spot that looked like a burn mark, it was near where the power wire comes into the pad. i just bought a new upper and lower element from ford for about $130.00, this seemed like a much better idea than trying to fix a 5 year old element that could go out again at any time. the last thing i want to do is remove the seat upholstery again(hog rings are a pain in the ***). i installed the new heat pads tonight and everything works great now, money well spent in my opinion.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:44 AM
gzimmer
Freshman User
My 2003 Expy does not have hog rings or wiring... I have really dandy plastic clips and I have a fan with duct work.

I'm down to replacing the Climate Controlled Seat Module... but it sounds like I will need to transfer date from the old modulue to the new module??? Any ideas on how this might be done?

Old 01-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Ummms
Junior User
my seat warmers didn't work when I bought my ex

some helpfull post I used for reference:

Post #91 by b-uno (photos/write up) on pg. 7
Post #36 by jay95gt (size tools needed to remove seat from truck)
on pg. 3
Post #37 by chapter7 (more photos) on pg. 3

Now my seat warmers work and it didn't cost me a dime !

Thanks for the info everyone.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:30 PM
cldomson1
Senior User
Subscribed.

Neither of my heaters work,but the button lights don't work either. I'll check the fuses first.

C

Old 01-06-2011, 09:53 AM
LRSTony
Junior User
now that it's winter i'm so glad i replaced my heat pad!

Quick Reply: Help with heated seats