1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

The day didn't go as planned, again.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 10:42 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink The day didn't go as planned, again.

Last weekend, my Saturday didn't go as planned and now, today didn't either.

This morning I went to go look at a parts lot. The guy wanted too much $$ for what he had. All of the sheetmetal was rusted through in some way. The fenders needed a lot of work to bring them back.

After I came home, I decided to take some stuff to storage. There I met a guy who has a storage locker that is two away from mine. In there he had an original Coca Cola ice chest, air compressor and the two oil pumps were at his house.

I ended up getting everything from him for $280. I paid $150 for the complete Coca-Cola chest, $50 for the 4HP 30 gallon compressor, and $40 each for the oil pumps.

He also has this 37 Chrysler Airflow in the garage. It's all original and complete. No rust through anywhere. It ran when parked a few years ago. He has stored it in his garage ever since he bought it 20 years ago. He paid $5k for it and now wants $5k for it again. He told me that he'll get it running if I'm interested. I'm interested, but my wife, so far, isn't.

Ilya

Old 09-24-2006, 11:16 PM
Nuthin
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My gawd, what a beauty! Only $5K and she's complete and will run? hmmmm...

Old 09-24-2006, 11:19 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
You find all the cool stuff in CA. Everything here is gone by that age. I hope that you can talk your wife into it.

Old 09-24-2006, 11:21 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Even if you don't like the Airflow, there is money to be made on that deal. Let your wife know that.

Old 09-25-2006, 12:00 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 616 Likes on 382 Posts
I think you have the Midas touch!

Old 09-25-2006, 12:42 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Bdox
Even if you don't like the Airflow, there is money to be made on that deal. Let your wife know that.
I like the Airflow. I always had a thing for them. I like their styling.

The seller is not in a hurry to sell it. He wants to sell it within a year. However, I told him that I'm very interested.

I'm currently doing some research on the vehicle. $5k sounds like a great price to me. I'd like to keep it, but I don't know yet. It depends on where I get the money.

If I borrow the money, then I'll probably turn it. If I raise the capital myself, then I'll probably keep it for a bit before selling it.

Before I got into the full size vehicles, I was into model cars. I have a pretty extensive collection of unbuilt models that are worth $3-$4k. My wife doesn't want me to sell it, but I haven't touched them in years and don't plan to for at least another 10 years. Life, suddenly, got too busy for me. I barely have time for myself.

I just have to make a decision!

Ilya

Old 09-25-2006, 07:52 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts
Dude, buy it and I'll buy it from you for double your money immediately! SERIOUSLY!

Old 09-25-2006, 08:05 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 616 Likes on 382 Posts
I'd do the research; we may know trucks, but I'd bet the guy knows exactly what it's worth. (Weren't we all just whining about high prices?!) The body is in great shape by all the pictures, but rebuilding an old Chrysler engine is certainly no cheaper than a Ford Flathead (probably more), so figure $3k for a real rebuild. Figure 3k for an interior, 4k for paint and body.... It's a neat car but you're really buying a commitment to another $15 - 20k in expenses! Unless you really want the car for a keeper, it may not be a total smokin' deal. We all know what "ran when parked" really means!

And don't even think about hacking the frame to put in an M-2, 5.0 w/AOD, etc!!

Old 09-25-2006, 08:18 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,934 Likes on 1,876 Posts
Ilya,

You are amazing! The ice chest is a great find! I like the looks of the Chrysler and it does sound like a good deal. A bit of reasearch should tell you for sure.

I always enjoy your posts
Bobby

Old 09-25-2006, 08:21 AM
1952henry
Fleet Mechanic
Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts
Neat score on the box full of treasures. That fellow doesn't have any other time capsules on his place, does he?

Old 09-25-2006, 10:24 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I'd do the research; we may know trucks, but I'd bet the guy knows exactly what it's worth. (Weren't we all just whining about high prices?!) The body is in great shape by all the pictures, but rebuilding an old Chrysler engine is certainly no cheaper than a Ford Flathead (probably more), so figure $3k for a real rebuild. Figure 3k for an interior, 4k for paint and body.... It's a neat car but you're really buying a commitment to another $15 - 20k in expenses! Unless you really want the car for a keeper, it may not be a total smokin' deal. We all know what "ran when parked" really means!

And don't even think about hacking the frame to put in an M-2, 5.0 w/AOD, etc!!
I plan to do some extensive research before I make any commitments. I want to know as much about it as I do about the 48-52 trucks.

I know that the rebuild would cost a lot. If I keep it, I just want to make it a driver. There's no way that I can afford the restoration. Knowing me, I'd want a 100 point, concourse quality restoration. This is the kind of car that deserves it.

I don't think that they guy knows what it's worth. Examples are of the things that I bought from him. The prices were such a good deal, that I didn't even haggle with him. He also had an original Fulton visor from a 39 Dodge that he was going to sell me for $75 if it fit the Panel truck. It didn't, so I passed. However, I told him to hold onto it in case I buy the Airflow from him. It'll fit onto the Airflow. Also, keep in mind that he paid $5k for it 20 years ago and now wants $5k for it as well. $5k 20 years ago had a lot more value than $5k today.

Ilya

Old 02-04-2007, 03:54 PM
J Hodges
Senior User
so did you get the car

Old 02-04-2007, 07:33 PM
DonMckay
Senior User
I totally missed this post earlier. Good find on the old Chrysler though Ilya.
Did you sweet talk the missus yet?
Don

Old 02-05-2007, 10:50 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by J Hodges
so did you get the car
Stay tuned...

Old 02-05-2007, 11:15 AM
ranch67
Junior User
you better get that 37. deals dont come like that often in life.
too sweet a ride. its all there!

Quick Reply: The day didn't go as planned, again.