1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

1997 F250LD Stutter Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 03:25 PM
billc2455
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 F250LD Stutter Problem

I've got a '97 250 LD with 114K miles. Around 107K it developed a "stutter" that was most noticeable when you got between 40 and 50 MPH. By a stutter I mean it would skip and sort of jerk like it is obviously missing power for a second or something. This would happen occasionally between 5-35 MPH but was pretty regular between 40-50 MPH. I took it to a local auto shop with some pretty good guys that I trusted and they said that it could be a few things, but they recommended replacing all spark plugs, plug cables and boots first so I had them do all that (for a small fortune). Test run came back fine so I picked it up a few days later and found out within 10 minutes that it had not fixed a thing. Now Check Engine light came on within the next few days so I returned and they were positive it had to be the MAF sensor. I replaced that the next day myself, but it fixed nothing and the problem was becoming even more of a problem. After I told them about this, they were positive it had to be the Fuel filter, so I replaced that the next day along with air filter and an oil change. This still did not fix it, and so I went back adn they were positive it was my fuel pump, but they wanted an arm and a leg to do it and by now I had lost just about all faith in these guys, so I had a friend of a friend help me do it at his home shop. He was very knowledgeable and even seemed to agree that if all else had failed, this would definitely be the key to fixing it. I paid for the parts and gave him $200 for the labor because I was so glad to finally have it fixed. Unfortunately, however, it did not fix it. Now I am having a new shop tell me that I should have my Fuel Injector cleaned and Tranny flushed and that should DEFINITELY fix it...I already feel like I am single handedly keeping the automotive parts industry in business.... can anyone PLEASE give me some suggestions??????????

- BILL

Old 09-20-2006, 08:39 AM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forum Bill

Has the transmission fluid ever been changed? Quite often on these trucks you'll get a shudder as the torque convertor locks and unlocks, usually in the 40-50 mph range. Usually changing the transmission fluid or flushing it will cure it.

Old 09-20-2006, 02:05 PM
billc2455
New User
Thanks a lot for the reply Racer, I'll stop by the shop near my house and get that done and post back on here the results! Assuming this does fix it, I understand my CEL would go off after about 45-50 miles or should I reset it first and then wait to see if it comes back?
Thanks!

Old 09-20-2006, 02:24 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I missed where you said that the Check Engine Light was on.
You'll need to get the PCM scanned and see what code is causing the light to come on.
If you have an Autozone there they will probably do that for free. Don't let them sell you any parts though. Post the code, not the description of it, here and someone will be able to help with the diagnosis.
Flushing the transmission will hopefully cure the shudder but it probably won't effect the Check Engine Light.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:16 PM
barneyfife410
New User
I was told by a Ford Mechanic that if you've never changed the fluid in the tranny on these F150's before 100K, then don't because it will soon fail afterwards. Any truth to that?