1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Just bought a 51 f-1

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 07:09 PM
Rokcrln
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought a 51 f-1

Hello all! I just bought a 51 F-1 that has been in hidding for the last 37 years and just lost it's hidding place. The (second) owner had to sell it so he could move his 51 panel to his house. It has 45k miles on it and is in real good shape body wise with rust in the normal fender brace area's.
My plans for it is to swap out the drive train form a donor vehical so I can set it on the ground and make it go and stop alot better. I will be leaving the body just as it is now but will paint the engine bay and interior only. I am going to see just how cheap I can get this on the road while adding a newer V8, auto, ps, pb, new rear end, IFS and that should do it for now. I have alot of other projects in different stages of completion that are all full customs and get very expensive to build so my wife and I want to see just how cheap we can do this toy for. I am planning on using a 71-72 nova for all my donor parts including the front sub frame, power booster and pedals, rear end, motor/trany and any other part we can swap. I know most of you are die hard ford guys and we can totaly appreaciate that and all my other vehicals are badge loyal but this is a budget build just for fun.
Here are a few pics of the truck as it sits. Any and all input is welcome!

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 09-16-2006 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:50 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is a great looking truck!!!

I love the hood latch.

Old 09-16-2006, 07:56 PM
Steamir
Senior User
I don't completely agree with your plans, but you've got a beautiful truck sittin there.
Good luck with it and keep us posted.

Old 09-16-2006, 08:49 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
Where is that truck out of (state)? That is in exceptional condition, it appears anyway, and ought to be left stock IMO. It's your business of course, but I think it's a shame to waste a 90% truck. It would be cheaper to leave it stock than all the things you are planning on. Pretty soon people will believe that F-1's came with IFS and disc brakes, at the rate stockers are being hacked up.

Old 09-16-2006, 09:51 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Wow, what a straight, original truck. I'd think twice about all the mods you're planning on something that original. I'm swapping complete drive train in mine, lowering etc, but it was pretty far gone when I got it. If you're not going to restore it, I'd stick with more "period" mods. Change the axle ratio (should be a dana 44) to something more modern, front discs on a stock axle, lower it with mono leafs, clean it and drive it. But, of course, it's your truck, and there's lots of info on this board. Welcome!

Old 09-16-2006, 09:56 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
nice truck, I agree with everyone else here. On the other hand, like in my local newspaper, it says 49 F1 hotrod project:$1000.00. Now you know this will be alot less original than yours. Before you know it, you'll have 10 parts trucks to buy, and you'll end up with 9 project trucks to finish, lol.

Old 09-16-2006, 10:54 PM
Rokcrln
Senior User
Well sorry guys but I will be keeping the body stock if that helps! The frame has had crossmembers tourched out and the engine mounts have also seen the tourch when the 51 merc flat head went in. I have several other vehicals to still finish but I want somthing to cruse around town in and our 67ss 396 chevelle only has 29k on it so that is out of the question. So when this truck came available it made the perfect resto rod for a cheap price. Also the guy I bought if from would like the stock suspention back for his panel, I guess it is not original or just not all their and his frame is flawless. So by me doing this it will help a 51 panel delivery stay all stock.

This truck is a California original truck that the PO keeped in a barn out side of town since 1970 or so up untill last week when he lost his free storage out their. Has anyone here swaped a nova or camero sub frame into their F-1. Here are a few more pics. As far as I know the only things that are missing are the front bumper, head liner and drivers side mirror. It even has an 8track under the dash!

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 09-16-2006 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:29 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm just curious, where in CA are you and where in CA did the truck come from?

Thanks, Ilya

Old 09-17-2006, 12:08 AM
Rokcrln
Senior User
Just north of Sacramento, Dixon area.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Old 09-17-2006, 07:10 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool old truck and I like your plans to modernize it. I also am building a truck on a budget but it is tough going...

Vern

Old 09-17-2006, 07:35 AM
doug51f1
Elder User
I unfortunately had my hand forced with my 51. The original owner dropped a small block v-8 and C4 tranny in mine in the early 70's. I would have preffered a total stocker because it gives you many more options. I think she's a beauty though!
this is what mine is looking like right now.

Old 09-17-2006, 09:03 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
Originally Posted by doug51f1
I unfortunately had my hand forced with my 51. The original owner dropped a small block v-8 and C4 tranny in mine in the early 70's. I would have preffered a total stocker because it gives you many more options. I think she's a beauty though!
this is what mine is looking like right now.
That is a very nice looking truck! Just needs to be buffed out a little! Appears to be pretty rust-free?

What kind of wheels are those? Almost look like split rims?

Old 09-17-2006, 09:17 AM
lowtrkn2k
Elder User
Rockrin, looks like a really nice start to a project...especially like what you plan to do. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you have to give for that classic?

Old 09-17-2006, 06:32 PM
doug51f1
Elder User
Wink

Sorry we are pulling attention away from Rokcrln, but it's the same year and model.....

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
That is a very nice looking truck! Just needs to be buffed out a little! Appears to be pretty rust-free?

The body is very solid. Has a little rust in the front fender bottoms. I tried to buff out a small area, the paint has pretty much had it. I'm starting the body work in the next few weeks and a friend is going to spray it for me. Same color.

What kind of wheels are those? Almost look like split rims?
The fronts are 15" Ford, the rear are 15" whatever fit on a 5 lug 5" pattern. I need to find some adapter plates for two of the four to make a full matching set.

Old 09-17-2006, 08:05 PM
Wayne S
Elder User
I think you have a great plan going there.I would do the same with the nova as a donor.Good luck and keep us posted with your progress.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 51 f-1