Color sanding and/or power buff

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 09:43 AM
P51D Mustang
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Color sanding and/or power buff

I havn't buffed out my new paint yet. Still waiting on a high speed buffer to arrive. However, I have a few questions.

It's a urathane base coat/clear coat system. It looks pretty good overall, with no pop, and it's pretty smooth overall, with hardly any orange peel. I'm kind of afraid to do any wet sanding, although there are a few spots with some overspray, and a couple of runs in the CC. What scares me is the possibility of dulling the CC and not being able to get the shine back. Should I not worry about this and hope to get the shine back with the power buff? Or should I just buff it out starting with the wool pad and working out to the superfine foam pad and forego the sanding? I have the 3M buffing compounds -3 step system.

Old 08-31-2006, 09:21 PM
mississauga
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Always start with the least agressive aproach to a repair. Over spray can be buffed out. Orange peel and other imperfections like dust nibs, runs have to be wet sanded and buffed out. If you start with 1500 grit then go to 2000 grit you can remove these defects.You can start with lower grit paper but may sand thru the clear if you are just starting out. Then follow the instructions from the 3m people re: your pads and compounds .I have used there 800 number and they were very helpfull with what compound and pad to use . For the runs if they are thick I have masked around them to concentrate on sanding the run down and not the surrounding area. Once you knock it down remove the tape and sand the area to blend it in.

Old 09-01-2006, 08:17 PM
Rocket Racing
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I often wet sand with 2,000, Then 3M Trizact 3,000
Then i use Norton Ice, starting with a wool pad, then going to a foam pad.

BUFF SLOWLY, DON'T USE A HIGH SPEED BUFFER.
Buffing should be done at 2,800 rpm or slower, slower is safer & better. You can always buff a little more, you cant add material back on quite as easily.