Turn signal trouble - 63 F100

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2002, 10:46 PM
ncalsurfer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi again,
Here is one more electrical problem on my '63. The turn signals work normally until I turn the lights on. Once the lights are on, the left turn signal works normally, but the right turn signal will not blink, it just remains in the "on" position.

Thoughts?

Thanks again,
Darren

1963 F100 292 Y-block

Old 05-13-2002, 06:54 AM
William
Logistics Pro
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Darren, Try this! Turn on the parking lights only and see what happens. I am guessing that the park light feed and the TS for that light are connected/crossed. Also be sure you have a good ground on that light. In fact, check the ground first.
William in Atlanta

Old 05-13-2002, 08:48 AM
ncalsurfer
New User

Thanks William,
I recently had to rework the wiring for the TS and brake lights, so it's possible I criss-crossed them. I will check later today and post back tonight.
Thanks!
Darren

1963 F100 292 Y-block

Old 05-13-2002, 06:17 PM
packrat_1954
Senior User

If you have a bulb out, they will just burn, but not flash also. Turn the key on, set the turn signal switch to the side that just burns, and check to see if the front or rear bulb is burning, if the front is burning, check the rear bulb...

Old 05-13-2002, 06:46 PM
Andy63
Senior User

Have a 63 F100 with the same type of problem. Turn signals work sometimes then sometimes the left one just stays on when the signal lever is used. All bulbs burn. Replaced the underdash relay. Did not help. Also when the brake pedal is pushed the front parking lights come on with the brakes. Confused the neighbor across the street who pointed it out to me. Also if the dash lights are turned way up (via the headlight switch) and the lights are turned off and the brake pedal is pressed the dash lights light up also ??
Oddest vehicle I have ever had drives me nuts sometimes but for some reason I like this old truck.
Andy63...

Old 05-13-2002, 07:56 PM
William
Logistics Pro

Andy, For sure your problem is a bad ground. You should have a ground cable between the engine and cab (at the firewall) and another under the truck between the transmission cross member and transmission. There is also a small ground wire between the dash panel and the brake pedal mount bracket. Each light is also grounded through the housing and mounting screws.
William in Atlanta

Old 05-14-2002, 12:46 AM
ncalsurfer
New User

OK, just back from the garage. I tested the lights with the parking lights only (as suggested) and the right turn signal still turns on and stays on. I checked for any criss-crossing of the wires and everything looks fine.

William - you said to check the ground on that light. Which light? the front turn signal? rear? Since they both turn on, but stay on, how would I check this?

Also, my ignition switch is a little loose, so when I start the truck, sometimes the whole switch turns to the right a little. When it does, neither of the blinkers will work until I turn it back to the left. Would, could this cause the right blinker to stay on when the lights are on?

Any more suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Darren

Old 05-14-2002, 01:00 AM
banjopicker66
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 14-May-02 AT 02:01 AM (EST)]Darren: Sounds like you have a whole series of electrical idiosyncracies to solve first. I recommend you start by locking down the ignition switch. Then, check your wiring under the dash, looking for frayed wires, especially at the connectors, looking for shorts between wires and the like.
Look for your grounds, making sure they are tight and clean.
This situation has all the markings of a bad thing about to happen!
This may or may not eliminate the problem, but it will for sure eliminate the possibility of an electrical fire under your dash! Not a pretty sight when you're driving down the road, and not easy to fix.
Get on that lock and wiring pronto, before you ruin your truck.:-X23

Old 05-14-2002, 07:13 AM
William
Logistics Pro

Darren, Remove the ignition switch lock by putting in the key, inserting a wire in the little hole above the key and turning the key to ACC. Then tighten the bezel for the switch. While you are in there pull the switch down and have a look at the wires and connectors, anything green (corrosion) or loose (burnt smells smokey) should be replaced. I hope this solves the problem. As for the ground at the light, each light is grounded through the chassis using the light housing and the mounting screws. That's why the light will work with only one wire. Anything that interferes with the correct voltage to the flasher will cause it to not flash or to flash rapidly (burnt bulb). Good ground is critical on these old trucks. Check for the dash panel ground wire to the brake pedal mount, this wire is small (Black) and easy to break. I always replace it with a longer wire. Then be sure you have a ground between the engine block and the cab (usually under the hood behind the air cleaner) and under the truck from the transmission to the frame. You can add more if you want and it can't hurt. Double check the bulbs to be sure you have the correct ones (I forget the numbers). Try cleaning the TS switch with electric contact cleaner sprayed between the steering wheel and the shift collar, (worth a shot). Were still looking for a bad ground or defective switch (light ignition or TS).
William in Atlanta

Old 05-14-2002, 11:38 AM
ncalsurfer
New User

Thanks again William!
I successfully pulled the ignition switch, but everything looks good (no smoke or corrsion). I do have some wires not connected to anything:

1. On the switch itself is a tab-type push on male connector with nothing attached to it.

2. A pink wire (coated in fabric, round male connector)coming from the firewall which is not connected to anything.

3. A single read wire coming out of iginition switch with a 3 female receptacle on the end with nothing attached to it.

4. A red and black wire coming together in a molded round female receptacle not attached to anything.

I also couldn't find the ground wire going from the dash panel to the brake pedal mount.

I can't wait to figure this out - thanks for all the help guys!
Darren

1963 F100 292 Y-block

Old 05-15-2002, 07:13 AM
William
Logistics Pro

The pink wire is a resistor wire normally connected to the points in the ignition switch run position. After that I suggest you buy a wiring sciematic here on this site. I have one but cannot find it! Are you able to tighten up the switch. No burnt or corroded wires is good! I am also thinking that the wiring harness may be on good shape since the wires all have ends and connectors? It may be a good thing that they are not connected to anything right now. Keep digging!
William in Atlanta

Old 05-15-2002, 09:17 AM
ncalsurfer
New User

William,
Thanks for the info on the pink wire. I was thinking the same thing about the wiring schematic. Another Ford lover is actually mailing me a copy of their 63 schematic, so I will be good to go in that department. I guess that will tell me about those loose wires (hopefully). I haven't been able to tighten up that ignition switch. The metal on the dash has been pretty worn down over the years. I am trying to come up with some creative way to tighten it up.
Darren

1963 F100 292 Y-block

Old 05-15-2002, 11:01 AM
William
Logistics Pro