6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

So when are the 6.4's coming out???

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 02:47 PM
GeneralC.
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's the one thing I don't like about theDuramax, it's too dang quiet. The reason I like diesels are because they are loud and obnoxious to people who know nothing about trucks. Also I don't know if I would trust a diesel built by Isuzu but thats just me.

Old 09-29-2006, 02:54 PM
jusaford
New User
I love the diesel noise and black smoke too... Buts quiet is the way of the future. I just had no idea that there was out there already this quiet. this engine i am told is a two year old engine....so it has a little bit of history...including a lot of power...more than i actually need to pull y 6 ton trailer the 3 or 5 times a month that i do trailer my tractors. my 6-0 sounds like a dump truck coming down the street...and she puffs smoke as good as any tractor does.

i have an Isuzu diesel in my john deere excavator and it runs like a charm... have lots of friends that have chevy and gmc and from the reports i got they have no real issues with it...

i am keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 09-29-2006, 04:35 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by jusaford
I love the diesel noise and black smoke too... Buts quiet is the way of the future. I just had no idea that there was out there already this quiet. this engine i am told is a two year old engine....so it has a little bit of history...including a lot of power...more than i actually need to pull y 6 ton trailer the 3 or 5 times a month that i do trailer my tractors. my 6-0 sounds like a dump truck coming down the street...and she puffs smoke as good as any tractor does.

i have an Isuzu diesel in my john deere excavator and it runs like a charm... have lots of friends that have chevy and gmc and from the reports i got they have no real issues with it...

i am keeping my fingers crossed.
That's a good idea no matter what one buys!

You are right about your reasons to buy this particular MY Duramax. This will be the 2nd MY that the LBZ has been out, it's already (hopefully) got the bugs worked out of the Bosch common rail injection (that Ford will introduce with the 6.4), the Ally is a great transmission and GM finally figured out how to keep it and the motor cool, you get the new suspension/other upgrades for early '07s, but not all the emissions crap that comes next year. It truly is a unique opportunity for anyone wanting a Chevy/GMC, and will be only a narrow band of time in which this opportunity is available...

Who knows, maybe your truck will become a collectors item! Good luck and Keep the shiny side up...

Old 09-29-2006, 05:02 PM
jusaford
New User
well its the best i could do after waiting 18 months to buy the truck..and considering all the good and bad and then making my decision based on the criteria i mentioned.

what is interesting to me is that i buy at invoice price ... in august 2003 i got my 04 truck and it cost me about 36k including tax.

the new GMC with the LBZ and all the interior upgrades other than carpet and leather...i mean all the other options...cost me 35k tax included. That took me by surprise. I LIKE them surprises.... collectors item it will not be...once it is fitted with the upgrades from the body shop it has to make money! especially since its Professional grade ! lol

Old 10-12-2006, 01:47 AM
DFord79
Senior User
YOUR NOT going to like the new ford...its way more quiet...than even the new duramax

Old 10-18-2006, 03:33 PM
cads03
Senior User
Originally Posted by GeneralC.
I currently have a 2005 F-250 with the 5.4 litre gas engine. In my opinion, it is a beast. It can keep up with the new 6.0 diesel. My uncle, though, has one of the 7.3 litre diesels in his 1997 F-350 non-dually. That is the best motor he and I have ever driven. That thing will blow the new 6.0 away. To further my argument about the 6.0, I know a guy who owns a construction company, and he bought three brand new 2006 6.0 diesels. They all three had major engine problems within 60,000 miles. One even blew up. Youns may think I hate Ford trucks, but I think they are the best trucks made. I just hate the 6.0 diesel. That's why I bought the 5.4 litre gas engine. The only complaint I have about it is the automatic transmission. It has one of the Torqshift transmissions. Let's just say I wish I got a straight shift. It shifts up and down way too much. The only way to stop it is by pushing the tow/haul button, but that robs gas mileage and when you only get 11 to 12 to start out with you cant afford much of a loss. I will probably wait about a year or so after the new 6.4 comes out to buy one because the first model of a motor can have some defects especially a computerized motor. If anyone here though is considering buying a 5.4 litre engine the do it. It may be a little small at only 330 cubic inches, but it rumbles and it bites when you hit the throttle. Having a tow rating at 11,700 pounds for a non-dually F-250 ain't bad either.

You are so full of crap it's not even funny. There is no way your 5.4L could even come close to keeping up with a 6.0L. I would put my 6.0 pulling my 8,000 lbs boat against your 5.4L empty any day of the week and still blow the doors off you. I believe you are flamming and that is all I'm going to say.

The 7.3 was a good reliable motor, but fast - it is NOT. The 6.0 will out tow and get better fuel economy doing it any day of the week. End of story.

I am not usually like this, but sometimes flaming trolls just TICK ME OFF

Old 10-20-2006, 12:39 PM
fruth04
Senior User
lol ^^ wonder what gears he has because my dads f250 5.4 is pretty damn slow it takes like 30seconds to go a quartermile, however my 5.4 F150 runs 17flats with nothing but an edge tuner... but i can loose his f250 by a 1/8mile in a 1/4mile race....... so i call BS on General C

Old 10-20-2006, 09:26 PM
rimshoes
Senior User
Quiet ?

Originally Posted by DFord79
YOUR NOT going to like the new ford...its way more quiet...than even the new duramax
Does this mean the new engine has "pilot injection" ? I bought my 2003 6.0 because it was quiet and I was quite upset when they flashed my PCM and
took my beloved "pilot injection" away. The 2004 through 2006 are true to
life diesels, but I could do without the noise. The only thing I like about my truck is that when you order at Burger King the guy always says "What ?, Como ?, etc.", it is sorta endearing.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:45 PM
Highwood5
Freshman User
After having diesels for 15 years the quiet part sounds real good.

Old 11-08-2006, 04:03 PM
Catfish_Man
Senior User
Best as I can tell, Ford ain't near ready to release their redesigned SuperDuty with the new 6.4 engine. (or are they?)

Because of so many problems (cough, Cough..situations) with the 6.0; looks s if Ford is delaying the introductionof the new engine and SD...based on further testing or maybe untill the EPA shuts down 6.0 production????

Ford dealers around here have just a few 2007's on their lots but lots of 06's left to sell with the 6.0.

Makes no sense to me, except that Ford can't sell a new SD truck with the 6.0 if they tried. Especially with no buyer incentives. The lots are still full of '06 6.0's around here.

Really, I expect to see the 6.4 sooner than later.

Once the new 6.4 hits the market a used 6.0 want be worth a "dime to a pauper" in my opinion.

That's why I think Ford is holding orders for the 6.4 and that's just my opinion.

Old 11-08-2006, 04:22 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Interesting and something I've been thinking about as well. There were a bunch of rumors about all of the big 3 stockpiling the current diesel engines to help "carry" them over, since the new emissions were supposed to go into effect based on date of engine manufacture.

But based on Fords move to stop '07 orders early, that just doesn't seem to be true, for Ford anyway...

And yet they aren't taking orders for the 6.4 either...

Old 11-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Creekowl
Junior User
Ordering New Truck

I just ordered a new F350 today. Ford is taking orders, just no pricing yet and delivery to be after the first of year sometime.

Old 11-08-2006, 05:04 PM
DFord79
Senior User
The government is mandating everything on the 08's. Date of sale has to be after Jan 1. Local Ford dealer told me the engine is already in production. NO more 6.0 are being produced. It took 3 weeks to change the assembly line over for the 6.4. They are made in the same plant. The 08 6.4 and the 6.0 will be sold side by side in dealers lot till the 6.0 are gone. They will make every efford to deal to get rid of the 6.0. So look for even greater incentives on the 6.0. What ever stock pile they have will be used in 07s. Remember, this is a transition manadated by the government not the automakers. They don't like this middle of the year thing any better than we do. My local dealer HATES IT. My local dealer has sold all his 2006 super duties. All he has are 07s. But I am in an area that sell a lot of trucks. At one time this county had more 4x4 registered than any county in the UNITED STATES. Sales here on super duties is still strong. As well as Dodge rams and chevys too. Its just truck country. As far as Ford not being ready for production thats not true. He has 32 07 super duties and says its not problem getting what a person wants because sales of ALL TRUCKs is down about 17 percent. So other dealers have a big inventory of 07s. And he can still get 06s from other dealers. He does not expect to have any 08s till March or April. He has people who have put in orders for 08s already. But of course no price....PRICE....is going to go up. All the soot and smog stuff is going to raise the price of the diesels...all makes. GM dealer told me 7 - 8 grand for the new GM diesel. Dodge dealer told me the same. Ford dealer said 6,500. But if gas prices go up again...and they are going to after the election..or ya..that was yesterday. I see today the price up curde is up..immagine that. Anyway...if sales dont pickup next year He feels like there will be hudge incentives. HE feels like FORD IS MORE READY with this truck than any vechile they have ever made. He went to DETROIT last summer for a dealers conference. This truck is the most tested vehicle Ford has ever made. More test miles...more engine miles than anything before. They are they only ones useing the piezo injectors....thats exspensive but they are the best. NO mechanical parts in the injector. Also He is sending his machanics to school for the new engine. Each diesel mechanic is spending 40 hours of class time and more than that if they have not had at least 2 years of diesel experience. He told me Ford changed everything with the 08s. almost no moveing part is the same. Switches, bearings, pulleys, wireing is all new. The axels are even hybrids of the last year models. The auto trans mission has 70 percent new parts according to him. So....its a wait and see. See if diesel price can stay under 4 dollars a gallon. Thats the scary part. Price of fuel not if the trucks are going to be good or not. Are we going to be able to afford to drive em.

Old 11-08-2006, 06:39 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by DFord79
They are they only ones useing the piezo injectors....thats exspensive but they are the best.
GM has used the same bosch injectors and injection system since the '06 LBZ Dmax came out, about a year plus now...

Old 11-08-2006, 06:59 PM
DFord79
Senior User
They are different. Check it out. I thought they were the same too. The kind that Ford is going to use is not what GM is using. Matter of fact Ford is the only truck using them. I have the literature.

Quick Reply: So when are the 6.4's coming out???