Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

Won Another Race

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 11:53 PM
stevef100s
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Won Another Race

My best friend's brother has an 82 Chevy short bed, and he recently installed a built 400 SBC with a TH 350. He used to have a built 454 in it with several different trannys in it, but it never held together long enough for him to race me. That never stopped him from talking smack though. I'm working on an old farmhouse, way out in the middle of nothing. Lots of empty roads, some with some good straight sections. My buddies brother showed up at my job, saying that he has a "Lightning killer" out in the driveway, with a quarter tank of race gas in it. I told him to hang out until I was done at work, and we'll see.
We drove up the road to a good straightaway. His brother went ahead a little ways, and another friend checked out the scene in the direction we were going to run. All had Nextel radios. He and I lowered rear tire pressure, and then we did light burnouts to clean the tires. I forgot to mention that he had Goodyear drag slicks that are about 12 inches wide. The way his truck sounded, I thought I was going to get stomped. He looked over at me, and I waved to him to go. He then told me to go first. I held the brake, and brought the RPM's up until the tires were ready to break loose. I then nodded my head at him, and floored the gas, letting up the brake pedal at the same time. I couldn't hear my truck, because his 3 inch exhaust was so dang loud. I only knew that I couldn't see him through my passenger side window at first. As soon as my truck hit second gear, he pulled along side me, and then he started to pass me. At the 1/8th mile, he was nearing 2 lengths ahead of me, and it looked really bad for me. Once his truck shifted to 3rd, I pulled along side of him, and then passed him. At the end of the quarter mile, I was a good three lengths ahead of him, but we kept the trucks hammered. At a half mile, I was between 130 and 140 mph (didn't look very long), and he was way the heck back. Funny thing was, he had just told me that he was clocked at 147 by GPS that morning. He also told me that he had a Chevelle that did 173 with the same engine. Once we arrived at his house directly after racing (at the legal speed limit from there), he stated that the guy who held the GPS must have been full of "it" (not the word he used). He then tried to say that he didn't get a chance to heat his tires up enough, so I asked him if he wanted to go again. He said no, since he had to readjust his valves and didn't have time (solid lifters). The next day at lunch, his brother and I checked out the starting area. The slicks didn't even spin (leave marks) on takeoff, but my L left dark twin black marks for quite a long ways (30 feet or more). My only mods, are a tuner, a pulley, and a K&N filter.
I don't usually race on the street, and don't condone it either. The time and place just happened to be right, and I had been listening to his crap for almost a year. The only thing he could come up with in his defense, is that he built his truck, and I bought mine. I guess I need to finish putting together my 70 twin turbo 302 F100.

Last edited by stevef100s; 09-14-2006 at 11:56 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:22 AM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good kill.............almost sounds like chevy boy is running some real low (high numerical gearing)

Have had our L up to 153 on GPS..........this was after it ran 150 and 151 and I called BS because it's supposed to be done at 147.....LOL!!!

Unfortunately, it's probably on the auction block because of the new GT.

My boy and I ran each other (the L against the new Mustang) and whoever was hitting the horn for the start would win. They were near dead even to 100MPH...kinda surprised, my money would have been on the L.

Old 09-15-2006, 09:01 AM
Blurry94
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
If you would've been able to hook, the outcome would've been much worse for him.

Nice kill.