1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Opinions on Water base paints?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 12:35 PM
learpilot
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on Water base paints?

I have been looking into the possibility of using the water based system made by auto air colors to paint my truck. I really like the "fact" that it can be painted in pieces and the time can be spread out over a longer time without concern as to repeatability of color (all these facts come from Auto air so I'm looking for confirmation or denial). Does anyone have any experience with this system? Any input is welcome.

Old 07-23-2006, 04:50 AM
Steve_B
Senior User
A friend of mine dose custom paint jobs on motorbikes

He has been using Auto air colors for the last year and really likes them

You may need a different setup (fluid tip, needle and aircap) for your paint gun

Old 07-23-2006, 10:47 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
These are really "water-borne" paints and all the major manufacturers use them due to the VOC regs. The whole concept puzzles me but you can't argue with results -- go to any new car showroom and you'll see some paint jobs that are awesome compared to 10 years ago! The only things I've heard is that they are much thinner coats than traditional, and that the gun set-up is different.

Old 07-23-2006, 02:02 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
My only experience has been with it in spray cans and have been very impressed. I have seen the Funny car that was painted with the auto air system and it was beautiful and seemed to be wearing well despite the handling a funny car body gets.
Auto air says to use much thinner coats than with solvent based systems, more of a dusting. Supposed to be an excellent choice for the home garage painter.

Old 07-23-2006, 07:33 PM
huronfarmer
Senior User
i saw an article that classic trucks magazine did with their "mail-order effie" and they used water-based paint on there. It looked just as bright, and they had a write up about how it was safer and easier to use. I considered doing it with mine, but water-based paints are still kinda scarce around here, so it wasnt worth it....However, if i lived in cali, i probably would have.