North Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:Benztechnc

Spark Knock

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 10:19 AM
Pro 54
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Spark Knock

Hey guys I need some help. I have a 2000 F150 with the 4.2 V6. I have noticed lately that I'm getting a ton of sparking knocking when I am driving at slow speeds with the throttle just down just enough to keep speed. Man the thing starts knocking like crazy, when I push down on it a little more the knocking stops.

My second problem is that my air bag light is staying on. Can anyone help?
I hope I am posting this request in the correct place on this board the first and last time I posted a question on here was months ago and I got a really big hand slap for improper posting, not following the rules, or what ever.

Last edited by Pro 54; 07-17-2006 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:34 AM
ncfirefighter46
Elder User
okay the air bag is problem may be a sensor, but with the spark knocking due to low speeds could be timing but due to ford changing the ingition system in early 90's and then later in 96. there is basically no adjustments mechainiclly at all. what i feel is you have a computer problem. due to the air bag and all the system on the truck is all controled by the cpu the OBD II system. take to the dealer they dont charge that much to check the system for you i think my 99 taurus i had them to flash the computer and check it out and it was like 30.00 at thomasville ford. but the dealer can find them problems for you and you can get them to give you a list what is wrong and fix your self or have the dealer to do it. i am sorry i can not be more of a help to you but i do feel it is a comuter problem

Old 07-17-2006, 11:48 AM
Pro 54
New User
Thanks for the info.

Old 07-17-2006, 03:20 PM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome Pro 54 to the NC Chapter and to Fte there is a forum thread near the top of the forums for your year truck they might be able to help you there.
The Forums are easy to get around just take your time and see what each thread covers.There's alot of nice people here and info it just might take a little time to get use to it here.Also we Have started a chapter here read through the thread here and if you have questions about the NC FTE Chapter please ask someone will be happy to answer them or help.

Old 07-17-2006, 06:07 PM
ncfirefighter46
Elder User
pro 54 also if you want too you can also check the ring gear around the damper pulley area on the motor there if the ring is real dirty that also could be a problem also see the engine computes the firing from a crank positon sensor on the front of the motor and also a cam positon sensor also that is how they done away the old distbutor that is why it is called a distduterless ingiton, the computer gets its reading from them two sensors to compute the timing, and if it is not getting a clear reading it could be the sensor also, but like i said witht he airbag light it could be computer itself, and autozone and the other parts stores can only read what the computers tells the scanner the dealer has a computer that test the cpu on the car or truck and they can check to see if the cpu is working right. a lot of techno mumbo,

Old 07-18-2006, 07:18 AM
Pro 54
New User
Hey man thanks for the info. I thought of those items but haven't taken the time to check them yet. As for the airbag indicator light, someone told me it might be the sensor in the seat that lets the computer know that the seat has someone setting in it.

Old 07-18-2006, 06:55 PM
ncfirefighter46
Elder User
i have not heard of the ones in the seat but that is not there is not one, my dad has a 99 150 and his is on they say count the flashes when you start it and the dealer can look it up for you, but it is all in witht he cpu too. and i have yet to find all the wiring digrams for the air bag system for fords i know about the tarus SHO ones, and there are sensors in the front could have came lose in the connection.